Great iced espresso drink

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Bossman

Postby Bossman » Apr 21, 2017, 12:47 pm

Since I just got my Mini Vivaldi back from the shop yesterday, I pulled some Lavazza Super Crema out of the freezer. The first couple of shots were underwhelming, but once I tightened the grind a bit it was once again making very good shots. Normally I do not do flavored syrups and the like, but I have butterscotch and caramel syrups for my mother and son. I wanted a cold drink and I thought what the heck, I have enjoyed cold flavored coffee drinks in the past so I thought I would try. I remember before I was introduced to real coffee one of my favorite drinks was the "Pot of Gold" from Scooters. It is a double shot with several pumps each butterscotch and caramel syrups and then they add a lot of milk. My version was 1 pump each caramel and butterscotch, then I pulled 2 doubles of the Lavazza into the syrup and stirred, added about 3oz of milk and filled the rest of the cup with ice. Man I was surprised how much I liked it! It was a tad sweet for me, but it was rich and thick and the chocolatey espresso melded with the syrups very well, and since I used two doubles the espresso was still the star, nice and bold.

What are other people's good iced versions of espresso? I love iced coffee in the warmer months.

smite

Postby smite » Apr 21, 2017, 1:31 pm

I am a bit of a purist but this past couple of weeks I had a craving for something cold over the weekend, when I usually have my straight double of espresso or an Americano, or on very rare occasions I may splurge and have an afternoon macchiato,

This time I pulled a double shot into about a tablespoon+ of organic blue agave (the espresso was a post roast blend of about 50% of some very nice Sulawesi SO that I roasted to city+, and 50% of my normal espresso blend) and then poured it over a large glass filled with ice. I then filled the remaining room in the glass to the very top with organic whole milk and slowly stirred until it was a consistent color. I might suggest exploring other milk options like coconut milk or cream.

My wife came running over and naturally took mine before I could even start, so I had to end up making another for myself. She drank her's so fast, I had not even started weighing my beans for my shots when she had already finished her drink and was looking for another.

I have to say the added hints of smoked, dark cherry richness from the Sulawesi to the espresso blend brought an intense level of body and depth to the iced drink that was really accentuated with the sweetness of the milk and the agave. It was really quite refreshing. The espresso was not lost in this milk drink.

We liked it so much we ended up doing it twice over the past couple of weeks...

In fact I might go make another this evening.

Espresso in SB

Postby Espresso in SB » Apr 21, 2017, 1:51 pm

We've been enjoying iced lattes with the warmer weather. Yesterday I made one like usual, with espresso, milk, and 3 big ice cubes - and then added a half scoop of vanilla ice cream. It was like an affogato latte, so good :D

barberrian

Postby barberrian » Apr 22, 2017, 12:40 am

The classic Italian affogato is so good. I like mine served with the espresso in a small cup, vanilla ice cream in a small bowl, and biscotti. Spoon the espresso over the ice cream a bit at a time. Dip the biscotti a bite at a time. Sip the espresso. A perfect dessert.
LMWDP #565

marlodmb

Postby marlodmb » Apr 22, 2017, 7:29 am

I been loving the caffe lusso gcm as a cold drink. Finished off a kilo way quicker than I have before of any coffee and I reordered yesterday another kilo so I can have some to make for my ex wife who is a barista at a local cafe shop when I pick up my daughter next weekend.

I used Starbucks cold drink cups they sell. I fill milk to between the last two lines. Add vanilla syrup 3 pumps and hazelnut 3 pumps. Then stir the milk and syruo together. Add ice. Then put 2 double shots slowly over the ice. I end up mixing it when all said and done so it's a typical iced latte not a macchiato. I just bought a bottle of butterscotch sauce to try on top of the drink instead of Carmel which I have but have not used either.

Hands down the best cold drink I have done. After this 2nd kilo is done I will order 5lb bag.

This was my first time making it and I made a hot latte and just added ice.. was still good but had some foam on top

Bossman

Postby Bossman » Apr 22, 2017, 10:11 am

marlodmb wrote:I been loving the caffe lusso gcm as a cold drink. Finished off a kilo way quicker than I have before of any coffee and I reordered yesterday another kilo so I can have some to make for my ex wife who is a barista at a local cafe shop when I pick up my daughter next weekend.

I used Starbucks cold drink cups they sell. I fill milk to between the last two lines. Add vanilla syrup 3 pumps and hazelnut 3 pumps. Then stir the milk and syruo together. Add ice. Then put 2 double shots slowly over the ice. I end up mixing it when all said and done so it's a typical iced latte not a macchiato. I just bought a bottle of butterscotch sauce to try on top of the drink instead of Carmel which I have but have not used either.

Hands down the best cold drink I have done. After this 2nd kilo is done I will order 5lb bag.

<image>

That sounds good but a bit sweet for me, I would cut back the syrup quite a bit. However I feel really bad for that great coffee having to be in that cup with the awful green logo! How demeaning for it! :P

marlodmb

Postby marlodmb » Apr 22, 2017, 10:25 am

Bossman wrote:That sounds good but a bit sweet for me, I would cut back the syrup quite a bit. However I feel really bad for that great coffee having to be in that cup with the awful green logo! How demeaning for it! :P

All I taste is chocolate not the syrup. It's the normal I use for all the other beans I tried. I'll try without syrup and less pumps on my kilo I'm getting next week. I'm sure I don't need syrup with this at all. I like the logo. I like their iced drinks. And the cup is perfect for my iced drinks so I rock this cup and logo a lot 8)

marlodmb

Postby marlodmb » Apr 22, 2017, 4:35 pm

I did end up having enough beans for one last iced drink. Did It with no syrup.. nope didn't like it(would more than likely cut down on milk or add more shots and I already do 2 doubles). Added 2 pumps each and like that better than 3 each. I'll try 1 pump each next week but won't do it plain.

Bikeminded

Postby Bikeminded » Apr 22, 2017, 5:48 pm

smite wrote:This time I pulled a double shot into about a tablespoon+ of organic blue agave (the espresso was a post roast blend of about 50% of some very nice Sulawesi SO that I roasted to city+, and 50% of my normal espresso blend) and then poured it over a large glass filled with ice. I then filled the remaining room in the glass to the very top with organic whole milk and slowly stirred until it was a consistent color. I might suggest exploring other milk options like coconut milk or cream.

I made a few of these this morning with dbl shots (18g in/36g out) shots Bodka Main Squeeze. Good. In fact so good, my wife who doesn't drink coffee and has NEVER had espresso, drank one and really liked it.

smite

Postby smite » Apr 24, 2017, 10:31 am

Bikeminded wrote:I made a few of these this morning with dbl shots (18g in/36g out) shots Bodka Main Squeeze. Good. In fact so good, my wife who doesn't drink coffee and has NEVER had espresso, drank one and really liked it.

Very nice! I am glad she liked it. I ended up making more this weekend.

Sponsored by intelligentsiacoffee.com
www.intelligentsiacoffee.com: home of the black cat project