Getting rid of gear: where have you had luck?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
RAS

#1: Post by RAS »

Been a LONG time since I was last active on HB. My coffee routine is pretty well set now with my roasting, brewing, etc., so I've just moved on to other passions (read: drains on both time and money!). Pocket knives, backpacking, photography... so much else.

As part of my other passions, and the fact that my wife has a point when she says I need to get rid of some gear, I'm looking to move some gear, mainly grinders. Because I've been away for so long, I need to post more to be eligible to sell again. I see that Dan has introduced an option of paying a modest membership fee to access to selling, and that could certainly be an option. Any feedback from other HB'ers as to the best place to move esoteric (stuff we all love) gear? What have you had luck with? HB Buy/Sell/Trade, Facebook Marketplace, eBay?... Seems eBay and Craig's list have both seen better days, but I'm open. Mainly just want to move stuff I have used very little, if at all.

Thanks in advance!... and great to be back here. Kinda fun to see what has been happening on the sharp edge of coffee.
Bob

ira
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by ira »

Knowing what it is might make it easier to help you.

Ira

Flair Espresso: handcrafted espresso. cafe-quality shots, anytime, anywhere
Sponsored by Flair Espresso
BaristaBoy E61

#3: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Around here Kijij is quite popular. I sometimes see some very interesting espresso items on their website.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

RAS (original poster)

#4: Post by RAS (original poster) »

Thank you to both BaristaBoy and Ira. As far as gear I'm trying to move, I have a near brand new La Cimbali Junior Max grinder, as well as a never used (brand new in box) Kinu M47 Classic. I hope that info helps!
Bob

CaptPat
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by CaptPat »

I'd advertise in more than one location, think Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. I've had success on both of these in addition to forum Buy/Sell sections.

Pablo Espressobar

#6: Post by Pablo Espressobar »

I just sold an ECM Casa V on craigslist in 3 days, full asking price. I tried offer up, and I got nada. Good luck! You could try on here if youve been a member for 100 years and posted 14,000 times. You know, for the sake of community.....

B2uatk

#7: Post by B2uatk »

I have used hb, eBay, and Reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/coffeeswap/) for both buying and selling

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
tennisman03110

#8: Post by tennisman03110 »

Pablo Espressobar wrote:I just sold an ECM Casa V on craigslist in 3 days, full asking price. I tried offer up, and I got nada. Good luck! You could try on here if youve been a member for 100 years and posted 14,000 times. You know, for the sake of community.....
Or for the buy/sell forum is not flooded with unreliable single post members.....

Back to the question, locally is generally easier to deal with. However, I've had good luck as a buyer on this forum. Your items I'd think would sell quick and are easier to ship than an espresso machine.

Psyd
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by Psyd »

Pablo Espressobar wrote: You could try on here if youve been a member for 100 years and posted 14,000 times. You know, for the sake of community.....
Actually, it's to keep the riff-raff and charlatans from infiltrating. You know like eBay is fraught with garbage retailers, and Craigslist if fraught with garbage retailers, and Faceboosh Marketplace is fraught with garbage retailers.
OTOH, I just found a source for a single used part for a specific machine in less than 48 hours here. I've had a $250 part saved from advice here and repaired it for $4, had another $250 part fail and got it repaired here for $80, and repaired a $140 part for pennies based on advice I got here.
The $300 part I just found used here for $50 rounds out the at least $750 bucks I saved by coming here. Oh yeah, I learned how to refurb a vibe pump, too, so another $40-$50 just today.
The $20 I dropped to be able to ask for the part I needed on BST sorta pales in comparison. And I've been posting here for fifteen years.
I wouldn't have it any other way.
Drop the donation, it only makes this place a better place to visit every day.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

PeetsFan
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by PeetsFan »

My Breville Infuser sold on Craigslist in a few days to a very nice buyer, no haggling.

I like Craigslist deals because it's all Face to Face in a Starbucks where you see the buyer, the product and the money. Twice people tried to cheat me on camera lens deals, but that would have been infinitely worse had it been via mail.

As it was, I just said, "No, that's a 70-200mm Version I, not Version II, and I want to buy a Version II." And they pretended not to realize it, apologized, and left.