Freezing coffee with bad results.

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
F1

#1: Post by F1 »

I know this topic has been discussed in the past, but I still don't know why I have such poor results by freezing beans.

I froze 32g of Counter Culture Big Trouble when they were 7 days post roast. I usually wait till day 9 or 10 to start using this beans. I used 8oz ball jars that I vacuum sealed individually. This was done about 1 week ago. Last night I took 3 jars out and left them in the kitchen counter to defrost overnight. I cannot get any flavors or aromas out of these beans. It tastes just plain flat. I think it simply went stale. The extraction looks beautiful with the right color and the right amount of crema. Even the body feels right, but it lost all its aroma and flavor. I am very familiar with Big Trouble so I know how it tastes.

-Did I make a mistake by vacuum seal the jars? I think I read somewhere that vacuum sealing was not recommended. I used this thing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000CFFS6/

-Do I need a commercial freezer?

Bossman

#2: Post by Bossman »

I do this all the time and have never had an issue with it. I have been using that same attachment you used with both a small hand held pump and a large counter top unit and both had great results. I actually just packed up 5lbs of redbird this morning and will stick them in the freezer tomorrow. Usually I do it for drip/french press but the short time I had my espresso setup a few years ago I had no issues so I am not expecting any this time.

Just a week in the freezer and having issues sounds really odd, a week should not have any real effect. The only thing I can think of if you are using a frost free freezer maybe the defrost cycle is getting too warm and they are freezing and thawing a lot?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

32 grams in an 8 oz jar sounds like you have the jar less than half filled with coffee. Can you post a picture? I usually freeze my coffee in 8 oz jars with the jars as full as possible to minimize air in the jar but leaving enough room for a good seal. I don't vacuum seal roasted coffee, so that's another difference.

4 oz jars might be an idea for you to try if you're looking at smaller portions, my experience has been that the 8 oz jars typically hold about 100 grams of roasted coffee.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

IMAWriter

#4: Post by IMAWriter replying to yakster »

Yes, why would anyone freeze 32 grams? Maybe he means 32 oz? 2 #'s split into four 8 oz jars?
Another thing, better to freeze earlier than 7 days...the roast is already on the downside..for many blends. Yes, day 7 is a peak day, but beans still age a wee bit in the freezer. I freeze within 3-4 days post roast, or if home roast, boom, in the freezer after 6 hours to de-gas a wee bit.

F1 (original poster)

#5: Post by F1 (original poster) »

yakster wrote:32 grams in an 8 oz jar sounds like you have the jar less than half filled with coffee. Can you post a picture? I usually freeze my coffee in 8 oz jars with the jars as full as possible to minimize air in the jar but leaving enough room for a good seal. I don't vacuum seal roasted coffee, so that's another difference.

4 oz jars might be an idea for you to try if you're looking at smaller portions, my experience has been that the 8 oz jars typically hold about 100 grams of roasted coffee.

I meant to say 32 ounces(two bags) in 8oz jars. It took 8 jars total. They are full all the way.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster »

Oh, sorry, I thought you were doing something with near single dosing, 32 oz makes a lot more sense. I've switched to metric for things coffee related so it's easier for me now to think in grams and liters than ounces and other ounces.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

F1 (original poster)

#7: Post by F1 (original poster) »

IMAWriter wrote:Yes, why would anyone freeze 32 grams? Maybe he means 32 oz? 2 #'s split into four 8 oz jars?
Another thing, better to freeze earlier than 7 days...the roast is already on the downside..for many blends. Yes, day 7 is a peak day, but beans still age a wee bit in the freezer. I freeze within 3-4 days post roast, or if home roast, boom, in the freezer after 6 hours to de-gas a wee bit.
In the past I have had these beans 14 days post roast without freezing and they were still good. As of today it has been 14 days(7 days post roast + 7 days in the freezer). It's almost like freezing completely destroys them.

IMAWriter

#8: Post by IMAWriter »

F1 wrote:I meant to say 32 ounces(two bags) in 8oz jars. It took 8 jars total. They are full all the way.
:lol: You're welcome!!
Still, unless you have green beans chillin', 2 lbs (32oz) of medium roast coffee should take 4 8oz jars.... 8 times 4=32.
Your jars must be larger than 8oz, or you're trolling us. 8)

jfrescki

#9: Post by jfrescki »

Maybe your taste is sensitive to some part of the freezing process? I routinely freeze in pint jars. I freeze immediately when I receive my shipment, I don't vacuum seal and I'm using a standard frost-free freezer. I'm usually good for two months frozen before I notice a decline.

I stick to a medium to medium-dark roast comfort type blends.
Write to your Congressman. Even if he can’t read, write to him.
- Will Rogers

F1 (original poster)

#10: Post by F1 (original poster) »

IMAWriter wrote::lol: You're welcome!!
Still, unless you have green beans chillin', 2 lbs (32oz) of medium roast coffee should take 4 8oz jars.... 8 times 4=32.
Your jars must be larger than 8oz, or you're trolling us. 8)
I have all this numbers wrong. :oops:

OK, I just looked and the bags are 12oz each. The jars are 8oz and it took 8 jars.