Freezing coffee beans for espresso - Page 4

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
harris

#31: Post by harris »

Keep bag sealed until room temperature, leaving bag open while still frozen will create condensation.

chanty 77

#32: Post by chanty 77 replying to harris »

Thank you so much. Do you know how long (approximately) it takes to thaw beans?

Advertisement
jpender

#33: Post by jpender »

It would depend on the temperature difference, how big the bag is, it's shape, air flow, humidity. My guess is it's on the order of half an hour before it warms up to the dew point. Once warmer than that condensation is pretty much over.

I'm bored while waiting for something right now so I took some coffee I don't really care about out of the freezer, stuck a temperature probe into the middle of the beans and quickly resealed it. When it's finished warming up I'll post the data logger graph.

------
Okay, so it took about 40 minutes:

250g of beans from the freezer, in a ziplock bag. Set out on the counter to warm passively.
Ambient conditions: 22.3°C (72°F) and 55.3% relative humidity --> 12.9°C (55°F) dew point.

chanty 77

#34: Post by chanty 77 »

jpender wrote:It would depend on the temperature difference, how big the bag is, it's shape, air flow, humidity. My guess is it's on the order of half an hour before it warms up to the dew point. Once warmer than that condensation is pretty much over. I'm just guessing though.

I'm bored while waiting for something right now so I took some coffee I don't really care about out of the freezer, stuck a temperature probe into the middle of the beans and quickly resealed it. When it's finished warming up I'll post the data logger graph.
Thanks. This is a 12 oz. bag (B&W roaster) with a valve (I taped over). I'd probably bring it out around noon & not open the bag to use til about 4pm.

jpender

#35: Post by jpender »

The ziplock I had was kind of flat in shape whereas a 12oz bag is boxier so it would probably take a little longer. Four hours should be plenty of time though.

chanty 77

#36: Post by chanty 77 replying to jpender »

Thanks. Good to know, and I put the 12oz. sealed bag with tape over the valve into a freezer ziplock bag....actually I think I put it in two freezer bags.

cmin

#37: Post by cmin »

I've been freezing for years, vac sealing in pint sized bags with food saver. I've also put those pint bags once opened into freezer zip bags and weigh out what I need and stick right back in the freezer. Personally I like that better and that works much better for lighter naturals, I've noticed if I've taken out to defrost and use (usually within 3-4 days per bag) sometimes the fruit notes etc are missing.

Either way beats the hell out of leaving out and having fall off a cliff post 12 days for Spro lol. Been freezing for at least 10 years. I just had a light Kenyan I left out since it was only an 8oz bag, I was using up some of a blend they had also so it rested couple days longer. Pulled it and it was awesome first few days, than went pretty blander even dialing tighter profiling out. I was at about 2.5 weeks post roast by then.

Advertisement
pwest

#38: Post by pwest »

Whenever I get a new bag of coffee, it goes straight into the freezer (except when I need a fresh cup right away!). I single dose, so when I make coffee, I grab a bag from the freezer, weigh out the desired amount, toss the the beans in the grinder, put the bag back into the freezer and then pull the shot. No thawing involved. I've been doing this for years.

For beans that I've roasted myself, I cup them daily until they achieve the flavor profile I want, and then they go into the freezer.

-Phil

prust
Supporter ♡

#39: Post by prust »

Yes, since it is 10 days post roast, you should use it right away. I do this with commercially roasted coffee I buy. It gets to me 3-4 days after roasting then goes into the freezer. I take the bag out of the freezer a day before I want to use the beans to allow them to thaw. I keep the bag sealed so no moisture gets in. I then open the bag and use the beans from the bag or transfer to sealed single dose tubes.

chanty 77

#40: Post by chanty 77 replying to prust »

Thanks!