Freezing coffee beans for espresso - Page 3

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
RapidCoffee
Team HB

#21: Post by RapidCoffee »

JohnB. wrote:Are you saying you've had bad luck freezing vegetables?
OT but yes, fresh fruits/veggies can undergo profound deleterious changes in texture and flavor when frozen/thawed. Ditto for fish. To be fair, I haven't pursued this to any great extent (unlike freezing coffee :wink:).
John

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by JohnB. » replying to RapidCoffee »

We freeze a large portion of the vegetables we grow in our garden each year & 90% of our blueberries. I guess it depends on which vegetables you try to freeze but we've had excellent luck freezing yellow corn, black eyed peas, tomatillos, lima beans, fresh jalapenos, roasted peppers & more. Tomatoes get made into sauce which then gets frozen.
As far as the fish goes the vast majority of the "fresh fish" you buy at the markets was previously frozen & thawed before putting it in the display case.
LMWDP 267

ECM Manufacture: @ecmespresso #weliveespresso
Sponsored by ECM Manufacture
LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#23: Post by LBIespresso »

JohnB. wrote: As far as the fish goes the vast majority of the "fresh fish" you buy at the markets was previously frozen & thawed before putting it in the display case.
https://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/08/nyre ... reeze.html

I had to search for the article but I remember being shocked when I read that, "Most would be even more surprised to learn that if the sushi has not been frozen, it is illegal to serve it in the United States."
LMWDP #580

jpender

#24: Post by jpender »

Auctor wrote:Where I think there's disagreement is whether the freeze/thaw/refreeze cycle has any impact on coffee, especially when new air is introduced during the thaw phase.

If you expose cold enough beans to open air moisture will condense on the beans. This is very easy to demonstrate for yourself. What is harder to demonstrate is what effect it has on the coffee.

While not quite what you're talking about, like others I pull coffee out of the freezer daily, open the container, measure a dose, and the return the container to the freezer. I wondered how this repeated exposure affected the coffee. So I tested it. I measured the moisture content of the beans I pulled out over the course of two weeks. I performed multiple blind tastings with those beans versus beans from the same batch that had been sealed in the freezer as individual doses. The result? Moisture accumulation was negligible. And I could not taste any difference between the two storage methods.

jpender

#25: Post by jpender »

The freeze/thaw/refreeze question has been debated before. People assume that it's a problem based mainly on analogy with foods. It certainly is not true in general, even for food. Is it true for coffee? I've only seen one person test this. He concluded that it had a deleterious effect.

Preserving coffee freshness for use on weekends

You could test it yourself with a simple experiment: Two sealed containers of beans from the same batch in the freezer. Take one container out and let it come to room temperature. Then return it to the freezer. Then cup both of the coffees. You can fairly easily blind yourself to which beans are which without any assistance.

My guess is you won't be able to detect a significant difference. To really know you'll likely have to repeat the experiment many times. It might depend on the specific coffee as well.