Freezing and storing 2 lbs coffee to be used in a month

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
chanty 77

#1: Post by chanty 77 »

I have been perusing the storage/freezing beans search engine here for about the last hour. My thoughts are since I typically order two 12 oz. bags and go through both of them within 19-20 days if having no waste. Never gone stale. Now I ordered a 2 lb. bag of beans. That still should last 26-28 days unless waste in dialing in. So almost a month.....Typically I put the bag it comes in in a ziplock bag in a dark cupboard.

Is there agreement that I shouldn't have to freeze 2 lb. of beans if going to use it within 1 month of receipt of it? All the reading I have done, so yes I have researched this topic well; I have come to a conclusion that it is a mixed bag of how to store. I think it is much more of a concern if one has more than a month worth of beans ? Thanks.

jpender

#2: Post by jpender »

chanty 77 wrote:Is there agreement that I shouldn't have to freeze 2 lb. of beans if going to use it within 1 month of receipt of it? All the reading I have done, so yes I have researched this topic well; I have come to a conclusion that it is a mixed bag of how to store.
You answered your own question.

chanty 77 (original poster)

#3: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

No I didn't answer my question. I really wanted an opinion. Yes, it seems to be a mixed bag of answers, but that is not really an answer.

Jeff
Team HB

#4: Post by Jeff »

My opinion, for medium-dark and darker roasts:

Take out a week's worth of beans, put them in an airtight canister on your counter, out of the sun.

Assuming it is a heat-sealed bag with a "zip" seal, seal up, squeeze out the air, and tape over the valve. Keep it cool and dark. If you use the fridge or freezer, take it out the night before you need to open it up for the next week's split (avoid condensation). If a roll-top bag, do the same with a "freezer" zip-style bag.

I think that is sufficient and reasonable for many people.

If you already have access to vacuum-sealing equipment, you might want to consider that approach and storage in a freezer. Many believe, including I, that freezer storage slows the aging process and will portion their coffee at the "ready to pull" date, rather than when first received. I don't know that I go out an buy a vacuum sealer just for this.

chanty 77 (original poster)

#5: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

Thanks Jeff.

Jeff
Team HB

#6: Post by Jeff »

When I was trying to figure out what worked for me when I was buying 5# bags, I compared my notes from the first week's batch with the later ones. If the grind shifted a lot or I was getting a lot fewer "good" and more "just OK" notes on my shots, I looked into better storage approaches. 5# is a couple months for me, but hey, I got better prices and free shipping.

If I didn't already have a vacuum sealer, I probably would have tried 1qt/liter jars, filled to the top, in the freezer next. They hold around 12 oz / 340 g each, as I recall.

jpender

#7: Post by jpender »

The question you posed and then answered was "Is there agreement...".

There isn't!