The eternal search for the perfect drinking cup - Page 4

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
LeoZ

#31: Post by LeoZ »

cannonfodder (original poster)
Team HB

#32: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

Nothing boring about that. The best decoration for an espresso cup is a perfect layer of crema, or the stains left by a recently consumed shot. The rest is just icing on the cake.

I have a couple espresso monkey cups and espresso skunk cups from SM.
Dave Stephens

Advertisement
Team HB

#33: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

Well, I just ordered a set of the Elektra logo Demitasse from 1st-Line.

I still may get a couple cappuccino cups and a demi or two from Terra Keramik
Dave Stephens

ccfore

#34: Post by ccfore »

Very nice looking cup. A perfect match to your machine I'm guessing. I'd kinda like to match my machine (Rancilio Silvia) with a couple of their logo cappa cups. I don't need 6, so i was thinking of buying 1 set of 6 from 1st-Line for $56.00 that is including shipping. Anybody out there who would like to split this with me? Three sets each with saucers? I would order them and then ship the 3 sets to you (splitting the shipping costs of course) Here is a picture of the cups, the logo is on both sides of the cup. Rancilio Porcelain Logo Espresso and Cappuccino Cups

Classic Italian Style!
Porcelain finish which is easy to clean and maintains that very nice look
Set of 6 cups and saucers
Capacity: cappuccino cup is 6 ounces
Made in Italy. Let me know if anybody has any interest in this, thanks.
Todd / LMWDP #109

HB
Admin

#35: Post by HB »

ccfore wrote:I don't need 6, so i was thinking of buying 1 set of 6 from 1st-Line for $56.00 that is including shipping.
I would call to ask about the leftover cups from a broken set.
Dan Kehn

luca
Team HB

#36: Post by luca »

My approach to cups is a little different ... I have a bunch that I have collected from various cafes and roasteries. I started on my trip to italy and spain a few years ago:

Each cup has a story ... which makes it especially irritating when one of them gets smashed! My mother broke one that I picked up from the LM factory the other day ... grrr ...

The ACFs and the Terra Keramiks are my go-to cups for cappuccini. I'd love to get some funkier tulip cups, like the intelly ones and the old-school black cat ones.

I use all sorts of cups for espresso. Practically speaking, the tulips are probably the best for crema retention, but I have a soft spot for the 'enrica' shape from Inker ceramics, just because I have a few really nice looking cups in that shape.

If I had a roastery, the obvious name would be Lucaffe. Unfortunately, Lucaffe exists, so I'm going to have to go and buy a bunch of their demitasses now!

Cheers,

Luca
LMWDP #034 | 2011: Q Exam, WBrC #3, Aus Cup Tasting #1 | Insta: @lucacoffeenotes

LeoZ

#37: Post by LeoZ »

luca wrote: If I had a roastery, the obvious name would be Lucaffe. Unfortunately, Lucaffe exists, so I'm going to have to go and buy a bunch of their demitasses now!

Cheers,

Luca
those are cool cups. :)

amazing, speaking of italy, how you can get cups like on that site for around a euro each. damn markups!

i got this set in italy for around 5 euro$.

Advertisement
mdoberenz

#38: Post by mdoberenz »

Back to the thrift shop finds - I found a similar cup to the Danesi cup pictured in this thread with no handle and a bit thicker. I loved it. It is about 4oz, so a big Macchiato or a small cap or a strong americano has become my favorite. I asked a friend who is a potter to copy it and fire up. Of course it is fun to choose the glaze pattern myself. I am still waiting for the custom jobs.

Regards,

Mark

Team HB

#39: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

HB wrote:I would call to ask about the leftover cups from a broken set.
I also did not need a set of 6. As Dan suggests, I had emailed 1st-Line Friday to see if they had any partial sets that I could get, and a little discount for that broken set, but no luck. So I had to get the set of 6.
Dave Stephens

Team HB

#40: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

The top of my machine contains a mix of cups and styles, which reflects my search for 'The One'. There are cups ranging from 2oz to 16oz but the espresso monkey (Illy clone) get the most use with the 6oz skunk cups for a morning cappuccino. There are even more at work with my Isomac and a few more in a cabinet.

Then I have a few fine china 6oz for special occasions when the china gets used and my Illy collector for special use.
Dave Stephens