The eternal search for the perfect drinking cup - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
PhaetonFalling

#11: Post by PhaetonFalling »

I don't know about you, but I like the cups to be clear. Theres something very very pretty about pouring a good shot and being able to see it all happen. That beauty of seeing the crema settle, and when you pour some foamy milk into it, how it kind of oozes onto the crema, dancing its triple threat of beauty, joy and delight.

Sincerely

Namson Pham

Diablo

#12: Post by Diablo »

Diablo

SWR

#13: Post by SWR »

I'd go with the Elektra cups from 1st Line. I was very tempted by them, but ended up going with Ancap Fabbri 6oz cups from espressoparts for half the cost here: http://espressoparts.com/product/020_FABC06 I would have forked over the extra dough, though, if I had your Elektra machine. The Ancap cups are great. I love mine (got the demitasse size, too).

BTW, the Elektra cups look to be the Ancap Palermo design, not the Verona as previously mentioned. Check out the Ancap site link in the previous post to see them.

cannonfodder (original poster)
Team HB

#14: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

PhaetonFalling wrote:I don't know about you, but I like the cups to be clear. Theres something very very pretty about pouring a good shot and being able to see it all happen. That beauty of seeing the crema settle, and when you pour some foamy milk into it, how it kind of oozes onto the crema, dancing its triple threat of beauty, joy and delight.

Sincerely

Namson Pham
I do have a few clear 5oz bowl shaped cups that are fun to use. When working on a new blend or new machine, I like to use clear cups (I also have some Bodum double wall). I get a lot of information from watching the shot progress and settle after the shot.
Dave Stephens

Team HB

#15: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

SWR wrote:I'd go with the Elektra cups from 1st Line. I was very tempted by them, but ended up going with Ancap Fabbri 6oz cups from espressoparts for half the cost here: http://espressoparts.com/product/020_FABC06 I would have forked over the extra dough, though, if I had your Elektra machine. The Ancap cups are great. I love mine (got the demitasse size, too).

BTW, the Elektra cups look to be the Ancap Palermo design, not the Verona as previously mentioned. Check out the Ancap site link in the previous post to see them.
I still like those Elektra logo cups, and the Terra's. I may give 1st-line a call to see if they have any partial sets for a discount. A set of 4 would be nice.
Dave Stephens

Team HB

#16: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

Dave Stephens

Team HB

#17: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

I just told my wife that I found a couple of cups that I would like to get. I showed her the Elektra cups and the blue Terra Keramik. She really liked the Terra's, more so than the Elektra's. That sounds like a purchase approval to me, how about you?
Dave Stephens

Diablo

#18: Post by Diablo »

Definitely not a no!
Diablo

diab0lus

#19: Post by diab0lus »

cannonfodder wrote:So I am asking the good folks of the HB community for other suggestions. Any suggestions based on the preferences listed above?
Here are the insulated stainless steel cups that I use for cappas (scroll down 1/3):

http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.espresso.shtml

They keep my drinks hot longer than preheated ceramic and they look nice on top of my Silvia. I love these cups. The price for the 6 oz. is only $14.50 per cup w/saucer. The picture of the 6 oz. cup on the site stinks.

Here is a pic of the 2.5 oz cup:

And the 9 oz:

-Ryan

mattwells

#20: Post by mattwells »

My wife gave me (for valentines day) a set of espresso and a set of cappuccino cups by Danesi.

They look like this:

And were only ~$35 for 6 espresso and 6 cappuccino and saucers from Cora. Heavy, neat shape, and cheap. I really like them and the Cappa is perfect volume (~6oz) for me.

The looks are love it or hate it (possibly), but a good cheap cup.
Matt Wells

LMWDP #160