Espresso tonic

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
mckolit

#1: Post by mckolit »

Very late to the party. Quick search here showed a thread from 2019. I just had my first one a few weeks ago and thought it was a new thing. I had to try and make some at home. First experiment was with the soda Squirt. It's a grapefruit flavored soda. And it was all right. Didn't have the kick of bitter citrus that the cafe versions had. I went to my local market and found grapefruit flavored tonic water. Tried it, once again, it was all right. Not the same kick again. Then I bought plain old tonic water. That was the right combination which was surprising since I thought the grapefruit flavored version would have more of the flavors I was looking for. What's your go to tonic water?

SteveRhinehart

#2: Post by SteveRhinehart »

I prefer Fever Tree, mostly for the small bottles. Their light tonic and elderflower tonic are my favorites. I also have used Jack Rudy tonic syrup before, which I love in particular because I can dial the amount of syrup to suit the beverage as a whole. However it's much easier to find Fever Tree so I tend to opt for that.

mckolit (original poster)

#3: Post by mckolit (original poster) replying to SteveRhinehart »

I'm going to look into the syrup. Being able to dial in the amount of syrup is an option I want to try. I've tried the Fever Tree and the Schweppes tonic waters and they taste the same to me.

jdrobison

#4: Post by jdrobison »

Fever Tree light is my choice - about 4:1 or so.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#5: Post by LBIespresso »

Fever Tree and Q but there are other small batch tonics out there. They make a world of difference.
LMWDP #580

ohwhen

#6: Post by ohwhen »

I like fever tree as well. They're also good with a hit of lime juice.

#7: Post by mckolit (original poster) »

I have some bitters somewhere in the pantry from when I was making espresso old fashioneds. I'll have to try it with that to see. I'm looking for more of a bitter end though like I thought the grapefruit tonic would have. I have some gentian root bitters somewhere around here I'll have to try too.

salvia

#8: Post by salvia »

If you haven't seen it, worth watching James Hoffman's take on espresso tonic:

jdrobison

#9: Post by jdrobison »

mckolit wrote:I have some bitters somewhere in the pantry from when I was making espresso old fashioneds. I'll have to try it with that to see. I'm looking for more of a bitter end though like I thought the grapefruit tonic would have. I have some gentian root bitters somewhere around here I'll have to try too.
Perhaps grapefruit bitters will give you the result you were hoping for

#10: Post by mckolit (original poster) »

Just watched the James Hoffman vid and first thing he says is don't use Schweppes! :D I'll have to get some grapefruit and try that.