Espresso Martini is Back!

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
SandraF

#1: Post by SandraF »

Just saw this article in the times. Apparently in the 1990's espresso martinis were a 'thing'. I don't drink alcohol, so personally it sounds like a bad idea to me. Have you tried it? Thoughts?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/17/styl ... eback.html

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

May have to give this a go, I have everything on hand but the simple syrup--every time I make a batch I never use it up and have to dump it.

https://www.liquor.com/recipes/espresso-martini-2/
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Advertisement
TenLayers
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by TenLayers »

I think on most recipes that call for simple syrup, you can substitute a variety of sugars without much impact. And if it does impact it, you've made a new cocktail!!
I'm having a cocktail party tonight and pre-batched a few different drinks and instead of simple syrup (which I have) I chose to use Agave. On my pre-tastes, I think it added to the drink.

jpender

#4: Post by jpender »

A bad idea, LOL. I used to drink White Russians and the espresso martini is kind of like an amped up Black Russian. It could be pretty tasty or not so much, obviously it depends. For me there was a point where I came to understand that the chemistry of alcohol and caffeine combined was not a good one for me, or for others around me from my experience.

sweaner

#5: Post by sweaner »

Scott
LMWDP #248

yakster
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster »

You haven't had real fun until you've pulled shots with whisky instead of water.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Marcelnl

#7: Post by Marcelnl replying to yakster »

I may later wish I had never read this....The Robot is perfect for a little experimenting with that....I assume heating the whiskey/Vodka/Grappa/Tequila/Mezcal/addyourfavepoison and extracting a double espresso.....hmmmmm, I have a faint feeling this goes beyond car bombs, Vodka red bull and the likes...nooooooooo
LMWDP #483

Advertisement
yakster
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by yakster »

The first time I tried this was back in 2009 with a thrifted DeLonghi: The craziest %#*$ing thing I've seen all day...

I did try cold alcohol shots with the MyPressi Twist. Strangely enough, as long as I've owned my Robot, I haven't tried pulling a shot with alcohol instead of water. Oh, and I like a cold infusion of coffee in tequila on occasion, but 99% of the time I don't mix coffee and alcohol.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

jdrobison

#9: Post by jdrobison »

Bad idea?? Not at all! Espresso martinis can be great and you can have quite a bit of fun with ingredients. Here's one that I developed using vanilla vodka and orange curacao, with a cream top layer.

Coffee isn't the most versatile ingredient to develop cocktails around but it's great when it works and I've come up with a good handful that my wife and I really love.

sweaner

#10: Post by sweaner replying to jdrobison »

Recipe, please!!
Scott
LMWDP #248