Espresso in snifters - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Eastsideloco

#11: Post by Eastsideloco »

Intrepid510 wrote:Yeah this kind of smacks of a debate over the proper way to put toilet paper on, up and over or over and under.
Don't go there; no one wins. These are partisan times and I live in a house divided. :wink:

TomC
Team HB

#12: Post by TomC »

I have a small collection of whisky glasses, including the Glencairn one mentioned. I've played with various ones and find that they all work quite nicely at trapping the aroma of the shot quite well. The Glencairn one has the added benefit of fitting on my scale, and there's no errant spritzes going anywhere, which can happen with less than stellar prep work, since it sits right up under the bottom of the basket. So it allows for better aroma appreciation, and it keeps things cleaner, yet I'm still able to monitor my extraction on my Strega's bottomless portafilter. I wanted to do this before, directly into the glass, but I hadn't converted my portafilter yet. I'd have to pull the shot then pour it into the glass, which was still nice to do, but an added step.

It makes even more sense to me as a home barista than in a commercial environment.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

sweaner

#13: Post by sweaner »

Intrepid510 wrote:Yeah this kind of smacks of a debate over the proper way to put toilet paper on, up and over or over and under.
Come on, everyone knows that "up and over" is far superior!
Scott
LMWDP #248

Viernes

#14: Post by Viernes »

I took this picture in 2011. As a whisky drinker, where the aroma plays a crucial role to enjoy the drink. I've always found that espresso lacks of it, so to me the glencairn helps with this issue.

Maxwell Mooney

#15: Post by Maxwell Mooney »

I had some thoughts on this. I wrote a 4 piece blog post about it in general, but specifically addressed arguments against glassware in this blog post

http://seedbearing.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... glassware/

And argued for some benefits of glassware here:

http://seedbearing.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... glassware/

Not sure if y'all care, but thought I might as well put it out there.
"Coffee is evidence of Divine Grace, flavored coffee evidence of the Fall" -Kevin Hall

LMWDP #406

yakster
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by yakster »

sweaner wrote:Come on, everyone knows that "up and over" is far superior!
That's all well and good unless you have a cat who likes to unwind the roll.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

the_trystero (original poster)

#17: Post by the_trystero (original poster) replying to yakster »

Hahahah, yep, after a long coffee and beer fueled discussion 7 of us came to the conclusion that "up and over" is best except in that situation. We're a little downscale here so no holder at all but I have a feeling our youngest cat would wreak havoc with an "up and over" roll.
"A screaming comes across the sky..." - Thomas Pynchon