Espresso as Dessert

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Compass Coffee

#1: Post by Compass Coffee »

Espresso Coffee Syrup: Make a simple syrup by heating 1C water & 1C sugar to 235f. Cool to below 200f. Pull two double ristretto shots (Kona or other of your choice) and mix in. Excellent drissled on things like Kona Mocha Cheesecake (Click Here) or vanilla bean ice cream or use your imagination! Stores for months refrigerated in airtight glass container.
Mike McGinness

Compass Coffee (original poster)

#2: Post by Compass Coffee (original poster) »

White Chocolate Kona Mochaccino (my signature dessert cappuccino):

First roast a good 2000' plus elevation Estate Kona to City+. Rest minimum 3 days, 4 or 5 better. Pour 3oz milk in chilled steaming pitcher, add 1 heaping teaspoon powder form white chocolate to unsteamed milk (no need to stir it in). Pull double shot into 6oz cup (about 204f). If your machine is capable start steaming after starting the shot, otherwise steam or pull shot first which ever is your norm. Optionally finish with quick grind of nutmeg.
Mike McGinness

k7qz

#3: Post by k7qz »

Compass Coffee wrote:Espresso Coffee Syrup: Make a simple syrup by heating 1C water & 1C sugar to 235f. Cool to below 200f. Pull two double ristretto shots (Kona or other of your choice) and mix in. Excellent drissled on things like Kona Mocha Cheesecake (Click Here) or vanilla bean ice cream or
Mike-

That looks reaaallly good- Why did I read your post before lunch? Now I'm drooling on my keyboard! :)

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

Put a brownie in the bottom of a wide cup, pull a double onto the brownie, over stretch some milk so you get stiff foam but not dry, pour over and eat with a spoon.

Dave Stephens

Coffee_Connoisseur

#5: Post by Coffee_Connoisseur »

cannonfodder wrote:Put a brownie in the bottom of a wide cup, pull a double onto the brownie, over stretch some milk so you get stiff foam but not dry, pour over and eat with a spoon.
Cannonfodder this gives me a great idea for a homemade ice-cream. What does everyone think of this concoction.

- Mix up a batch of premium homemade vanilla ice-cream base but add in a few tablespoons of good quality coco powder.
- Add the mixture to your ice-cream maker and churn until slightly frozen.
- In the last few minutes of churning add a double shot of espresso and crumbled homemade brownies.
- Transfer to ice box and let set to desired consistence.

*For an added touch add a few teaspoons of syrup mentioned above*

I think I will call this "Double Chocolate Espresso Delight"

#6: Post by Compass Coffee (original poster) »

Pretty simple. Pull a couple double ristretto shots of (City+ home roasted 5 to 7 day rested) lively bright high elevation Kona and let cool. (pull the shots at a fairly high temp to accentuate brightness, ~205f, ideally really tight 1oz double ristettos in good long 35 to 40sec ) Start with the basic Toll House Chocolate Chip recipe adding a couple T extra flour to compensate for the ristretto shots liquid mixing in the cooled Kona ristetto shots. Instead Nestle's Chocolate Chips mix in a good white chocolate like Bernard Callebaut White Chocolate Drops (that happen to also look very much like coffee beans ) and a cup of very coarse chopped and light toasted and cooled macnuts. Obviously best to use quality ingredients like butter not margarine and dark sugar cane brown sugar not sugar beet and/or molasses added stuff. Bake per Toll House cookies recipe...
Mike McGinness

#7: Post by Compass Coffee (original poster) »

Flourless Kona Mocha Torte Recipe click here.
Mike McGinness

#8: Post by Compass Coffee (original poster) »

Kona Mocha Cheesecake recipe click here.
Mike McGinness

#9: Post by Compass Coffee (original poster) »

Kona Sunset Cappuccino
Very simple. Substitute coconut milk for half the milk before steaming. For double shot cap add scant teaspoon (more or less to taste) turbinado sugar to demi before pulling shot. I like to pull the shot with a nice bright Kona. Now if you're really good pour the steamed coconut milk/milk as a coconut palm tree! (I wish, maybe someday. :( ) Zest a lemon with the oils falling on top the cap'., served with the lemon zest peel arc as garnish on the side.

Note: if made in the morning call it a Kona Sunrise Cappuccino. (Except the sun rises on the other side of The Big Island :wink: )
Mike McGinness

cannonfodder
Team HB

#10: Post by cannonfodder »

I posted this in a thread on the green coffee coop along with another chocolate chip version. But, you have to be a member of the Co-op to access the thread, but joining is free.

Ok, I think I finally have a working recipe for those that were interested.

You will need...
1 ½ cups 2% milk
Coffee
¾ cup sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
3 egg yolks, beaten
½ tablespoon vanilla
2 cups ice cold whipping cream

The hard part was getting the coffee flavor. If you use espresso, it gets bitter, if you use coffee brewed in water, there is not enough cream in the mix and you end up with a block of ice. While not good for ice-cream, break it into chunks toss it in a blender with a little milk and you have a coffee milkshake.

Take one and a half cups of 2% milk and heat it just short of a boil, 198'ish F.

While the milk is heating, put the appropriate amount of coffee into your French press. Once the milk is at temperature, dump it into the press pot and let steep one minute longer than you normally do. Press and pour the milk pack into your pan. You should have one cup of coffee infused milk after the press.

Whip 3 egg yolks; slowly add one quarter of the hot milk to the egg yolk (tempering the eggs). Keep whipping the eggs while you add the milk. Then add the egg and milk mix back to the pan. Add in three-quarter cup sugar, one-quarter teaspoon salt and cook on medium heat stirring constantly until thickened. You are making loose custard. The mix should coat the back of a spoon.

Refrigerate the mix overnight.

Just before churning, mix in one half tablespoon vanilla and two cups of ice cold whipping cream (heavy cream, 30%+ milk fat). Hay, I said it was good, not low calorie. Don't even try half and half. Low fat ice-cream is like decaf coffee, why bother?

Mix well and churn in your ice-cream maker, freeze a few hours to harden and enjoy.
Dave Stephens