Espresso and Tonic Water - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
expy98

#11: Post by expy98 »

Does it also work with gin as well?

Chert

#12: Post by Chert replying to expy98 »

200 ml of gin and a double shot. Try it and report back. :lol:
LMWDP #198

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#13: Post by LBIespresso »

Qporzk wrote:What kind of ratio is usually used? 1:1 tonic to coffee? 2:1? Stop asking questions and just try it?
Use the same amount you would use in a G&T. :lol:
LMWDP #580

expy98

#14: Post by expy98 »

Chert wrote: 200 ml of gin and a double shot. Try it and report back. :lol:
It might be a while before I can report back if I tried that recipe.

Chert

#15: Post by Chert replying to expy98 »

I happen to have a bottle of Fevertree just now. So I have brewed a shot of decaf Huehuetenango medium roast onto 120 mL of the tonic and ice. i like how it foams up. The flavor is good. I thought the bitter would not pair well with the coffee flavor despite the sugar in the tonic, but it's pretty good.

Then I added just 10mL of Plymouth gin just to see. I like that. different. and the gin does add a pleasant complexity.

Cheers!
LMWDP #198

Qporzk

#16: Post by Qporzk »

Gave it a try with 120ml of tonic and... Some espresso. Turns out the glass I used maxed out my scale so I was left to eyeball it :roll:

Nevertheless, it was quite tasty. I'll likely give it another try when I have some fruiter coffee than the chocolatey El Salvador I have now, and with a smaller amount of tonic so the espresso cuts through more.

curmudgeon

#17: Post by curmudgeon »

Alright, you got me. I had to try it!

I was at the grocery store yesterday after reading this thread, so of course I had to pick up some tonic. I've had espresso + sparking water before, so it didn't seem like tonic would be too far outside of that realm. End result, it was pretty good! There's a lot going on in that glass - lots of flavor complexity. This will definitely get added to the general drink rotation.

Chert

#18: Post by Chert »

We did a tasting of it at noon espresso corner today. I like it - still; second taster likes it - quite pleasantly surprised, will make at home; 3rd will buy some Fever Tree (not sure if he likes the combo).
LMWDP #198

SJM

#19: Post by SJM »

Which Fever Tree tonic did you use?
I am only familiar with the Indian Tonic Water, but I see that they now have a whole lot of different ones, and I'll bet different ones taste different when combined with espresso.
https://fever-tree.com/en_US/products

Chert

#20: Post by Chert replying to SJM »

Premium Indian 500 mL (16.9 oz) bottle. The 7 oz bottles are a nice idea as for 1-2 drinks per bottle, no loss of carbonation, which slightly poured down the quality of the mix today. In our noon example I used the final 4 ounces of the big bottle. The CO2 makes a nice froth combined with espresso.
LMWDP #198