Duties on espresso machines/parts/accessories

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
duke-one

#1: Post by duke-one »

I just ordered a gift from one of the espresso specialty shops, the shipping was pretty steep ($27) for a fairly small item. I figured this was for off shore origin but that would be that. Well, no, now I hear I'll be hit with duties also. This was not mentioned anywhere on the website or in the cart. Is that fair/honest? Has anyone else experienced this?

Chrikelnel

#2: Post by Chrikelnel »

Shops have no control over duty and they're not the ones getting the money. Complain to your government if anyone (good luck).

Advertisement
duke-one (original poster)

#3: Post by duke-one (original poster) »

My point was the shop should mention it.

Marcelnl

#4: Post by Marcelnl replying to duke-one »

I'm quite sure the shops can not be knowledgeable about all duties taxes and tariffs everywhere, that is for the inhabitants of the country of destination (who should be expected to know their laws). Usually the general terms and conditions language says something like this, sometimes the shipping page, sometimes not IMO.
LMWDP #483

VoidedTea

#5: Post by VoidedTea »

Yes, I experienced that. Not sure if it's fair or honest, but in my case it was something I was expecting, so it didn't surprise me. You may suggest to the shop to include a disclaimer in the shopping cart that duties may be applied depending on the country and regulations. Maybe it was there in small print but you just didn't notice. One way or another, it does happen and you should just be aware of it with international purchases.

PS. $27 for just shipping does sound like a lot though. I don't recall paying that much for just shipping except when mailing something personally using curriers.

#6: Post by duke-one (original poster) »

Buy stuff online all the time; most don't say where it is shipping from. Bought a non-contact thermometer through Amazon a ways back, no info it was coming from overseas, about $103. Week later get a $36 customs bill from FedEx. The seller after a few emails paid for it with apologies. It should be clear on the product page or cart before checkout.
Voided tea: I figured the high shipping cost was due to overseas origin, the item in its box likely under 2 lbs.

#7: Post by duke-one (original poster) »

Further nonsense; got 3 emails from DHL asking me to call them. Get through a maddining phone process to learn I didn't need to call, no duties on this, hope that is true.