Does packaging method help delay stale coffee?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Iowa_Boy

Postby Iowa_Boy » Jan 12, 2019, 3:33 pm

OK - I have another newbie question. First, though, a disclaimer: I have gotten in the bad habit of accumulating too many bags of coffee and not freezing them. So they are definitely sitting around (unopened) well beyond the ideal period. I have made a New Years resolution to use up what I have and accumulate less coffee at a time or begin freezing the beans. For the most part though, it seems like most of the coffee has stayed pretty well unopened for up to 6-8 weeks. That was, until today when I opened the bag of Vivace Dolce I had left. Unlike the first bag from a couple months ago, it tasted like pure cigarette ash. Tried to adjust the shots several times, and decided it wasn't happening, and the rest will go in the trash. Roast date on the bag was 11/10/18.
Solution, of course, is to use what I have within 2-3 weeks of roast date or freeze. I get that. The packaging on the Dolce seems very different than most other coffees (clear bag, more space for beans, does have one way valve). My question is, are there different methods that roasters use to package coffee that actually affect how long it lasts? Or is it pretty much 2-3 weeks for everything? And why is the Vivace coffee packaged differently? Just curious.

yakster

Postby yakster » Jan 12, 2019, 4:12 pm

Sure, nitrogen flushed coffee with last longer, and clear bags should be kept out of direct light, preferably in a cool, dark place.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Iowa_Boy

Postby Iowa_Boy » Jan 12, 2019, 7:27 pm

Makes sense. Is there any way to tell if a roaster using nitrogen flushing, short of asking?

OldNuc

Postby OldNuc » Jan 12, 2019, 7:31 pm

Nitrogen flushed coated aluminum bag liner and opaque exterior with 1 way valve will last quite a long time depending on roasting technique. The secret is to bring home and breakup into 2=3 day batches and freeze. As the herd of containers multiplies like wire coat hangers in a dark closet this will become a bit of a hassle in itself looking for a solution, but it does work.

For the artisan roaster you have to ask if it is N2 flushed.