Do your family / housemates use your espresso machine? - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.

Do your family / housemates use your espresso machine?

A - Yes
21%
B - No -- they know how, but leave it to me
15%
C - No -- don't know how to use it
44%
D - No -- not interested in coffee
18%
E - Yes -- it's co-owned
1%
F - No -- not permitted
1%

Total votes: 85

SylvainMtl

#11: Post by SylvainMtl »

My wife always offers coffee to visitors before I do so she can make some lattes.

She used to be afraid of touching the Anita, but now likes to pull shots and specially steam milk with the Elektra. She says she's more comfortable with the Elektra.

mikekarr

#12: Post by mikekarr »

My wife was a barista some years ago and used to make all the shots in the house until this past year when I decided to get serious about it. Now she lets me do all the shot pulling. She does all of the milk frothing for herself though as I don't drink milk drinks anymore.
LMWDP #235

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by JohnB. »

My wife loves the coffee/espresso drinks I make her but when I'm not around she drinks tea or Mate'. She has no interest in mastering the espresso machine or the vac pots. Considering her track record with the glass beakers in the Chambord she uses to brew Mate' its probably for the best. :lol:
LMWDP 267

another_jim
Team HB

#14: Post by another_jim »

I always liked espresso machines, and kitchen gear in general, with lots of dangerous, complicated looking, 19th century style dials and controls and hisses and heat. And I keep wondering why everyone else refuses to even come close to the stuff. :D
Jim Schulman

Ben Z.

#15: Post by Ben Z. »

My wife makes herself two americanos each morning. Sometimes her pulls look really good, but she lets them run a long time. She's still afraid of the Corys, though.

edwa

#16: Post by edwa »

I need another option! One that says "No, prefers to be served and aims to keep it that way"! :mrgreen:

shadowfax

#17: Post by shadowfax »

Isn't that B?

I am a C/D (mostly D). My wife has a zero-tolerance policy on bitter flavors, so passable coffee is quite rare for her, even in a cappuccino/latté. My 10-month old will sip my cappuccinos on occasion, and my dad and my sister enjoy my coffee but live a long way away.
Nicholas Lundgaard

JmanEspresso

#18: Post by JmanEspresso »

No one uses, wants to use, or has any desire to learn how to use my machine. And Im kinda happy with that. Im very anal about cleaning my machine.. I doubt they would follow my methods after every shot if I did attempt to show them.

Being a cook by profession, starting my studies at the CIA this summer, I very much prefer to be in charge of all things food and beverage.

dsc

#19: Post by dsc »

Hi guys,

it's a 'don't touch' policy when it comes to my espresso rig. I showed my girlfriend a couple of times how to make a proper coffee but she wasn't very interested, so we both agreed that it's best if she doesn't try to do anything with the machine/grinder. I let her grind for FP/drip though, but there's a dedicated grinder for it:)

Regards,
dsc.

triptogenetica (original poster)

#20: Post by triptogenetica (original poster) »

So, the consensus so far is that, mostly, we (H-Bs) prepare the drinks, and others either sample them, or have no interest at all?

Thank goodness - I thought it was only me.
JmanEspresso wrote:No one uses, wants to use, or has any desire to learn how to use my machine. And Im kinda happy with that. Im very anal about cleaning my machine.. I doubt they would follow my methods after every shot if I did attempt to show them.
I must admit, much as i'd love to introduce people to espresso, and pulling shots, I agree with this completely. The cleaning cloth is right next to the machine, but even so, I doubt it'd be used...

Next academic year, I'm living in a bigger house, more students. Should be fun, but i doubt people would take care to look after my machine. So it'll be my domain, i guess. (Of course, now I have the big Bezzera, it's a lot more intimidating to the uninitiated than my old Gaggia Carezza, so it should be safe! :D ).