Do you weigh out your purchased coffee?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
jevenator

#1: Post by jevenator »

I was wondering if anyone weighed out their coffee once it came. I purchase 12 oz bags & immediately transfer it to glass mason jars. It usually fills up 2 mason jars. I place the mason jars on my scale (Acaia Pearl) and pour out the beans from the bag. The last place I bought from had a 10g deficiency in one bag and 5g in the other bag. This is from a praised and ethical roastery. Usually, it has been always a 1-2g deficiency in the past with other roasters 50% of the time. (Why don't they ever give extra?! :D ) 1-2g is okay and understandable that's like 1-2 beans but I thought 10g of an "error" in a 340g bag is a lot of cause that is a little bit more than half a shots worth of beans. I've had a place before in person that weighs out the beans on their scale and when I brought it home I found it was off by 0.5oz (~14g).

Are there established "margin of errors" that companies have to abide by?

Does anyone else do this?

Should you contact and let the roastery know if this is the case?

jpender

#2: Post by jpender »

I've weighed a bag on occasion but I don't do it regularly. I've always found that the contents were slightly above the stated weight. I just opened a 12oz bag (Wrecking Ball coffee roasters) and the beans weighed 347.42g. That's an extra 7g (0.25oz). One gram is typically about 7 beans, so an extra 50 beans or so.

Are you certain of your scale's accuracy? That's something to verify before you contact the roaster.

jevenator (original poster)

#3: Post by jevenator (original poster) »

jpender wrote: Are you certain of your scale's accuracy? That's something to verify before you contact the roaster.
If I weigh out 17.5g it will read 17.5 on my acaia pearl, decent simple scale, and FortéBG so yes.

belegnole

#4: Post by belegnole »

Considering how much coffee is going for these days, I guess I should still be spot checking. However I stopped doing it some time ago. I found that unless there was a considerable difference in weight it wasn't worth the time, effort or stress. Part of the reason was I've been roaster hopping, trying new bean after new bean. To go to someone who I purchased from once and may not again, then say "oh, my order was short 20 grams" seemed a bit much. But, as a more constant customer I might be more inclined to report the issue.
LMWDP #641

Intrepid510

#5: Post by Intrepid510 »

Well if you like the Roasters coffee try to see if the bag is included in the stated weight, hard to find good help.

I have done it a few times and each time I found it like 340 341 339.8 stuff right around there. Typically if for some reason it looks off because it's a dense bean I just toss the whole bag on.

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#6: Post by RapidCoffee »

jevenator wrote:The last place I bought from had a 10g deficiency in one bag and 5g in the other bag... (Why don't they ever give extra?
but I thought 10g of an "error" in a 340g bag is a lot of cause that is a little bit more than half a shots worth of beans. I've had a place before in person that weighs out the beans on their scale and when I brought it home I found it was off by 0.5oz (~14g).
If I purchased 12oz bags that were consistently 10-14g short, I'd be mildly annoyed too. This is $0.50-$1.00 per bag for expensive beans, not earth-shattering but certainly hard to justify. You might bring this to the attention of the roaster; perhaps they simply need to recalibrate their scale or retare their bags.

However... living out on the edge of civilization as we know it, I often purchase coffee online in 5# bulk bags, and parcel them out into 1# bags for vacuum packing and freezing. I've never been shorted, and typically there is some extra.
1-2g is okay and understandable that's like 1-2 beans
You must have some big-ass beans! There are typically ~7 beans to a gram. :wink:
John

jevenator (original poster)

#7: Post by jevenator (original poster) »

RapidCoffee wrote:If I purchased 12oz bags that were consistently 10-14g short, I'd be mildly annoyed too. This is $0.50-$1.00 per bag for expensive beans, not earth-shattering but certainly hard to justify. You might bring this to the attention of the roaster; perhaps they simply need to recalibrate their scale or retare their bags.

However... living out on the edge of civilization as we know it, I often purchase coffee online in 5# bulk bags, and parcel them out into 1# bags for vacuum packing and freezing. I've never been shorted, and typically there is some extra.

You must have some big-ass beans! There are typically ~10 beans to a gram. :wink:
I think it won't hurt just to let them know it happened.

Oh yes, I didn't realize what I did. It's 1-2 beans per 0.1g of a bean so yes ~10beans to a gram.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#8: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Transparency and fairness are two ways to live a joyous life. Call them out on it, in a nice way, and ask for something. You don't get what you don't ask for.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

jpender

#9: Post by jpender »

RapidCoffee wrote:You must have some big-ass beans! There are typically ~10 beans to a gram. :wink:

I think you must have tiny-ass beans. :-)

A strong preference for Ethiopean peaberry perhaps?

For many, arguably most, varietals the count per gram is lower.

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#10: Post by RapidCoffee »

Just pointing out that the OP was off by an order of magnitude on weight ("1-2g is okay and understandable that's like 1-2 beans"). Like you, the beans I'm currently drinking average ~7 beans per gram. Thanks, I've corrected my earlier post.
John