Do you leave spring in your portafilter?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Iowa_Boy

Postby Iowa_Boy » Sep 09, 2018, 1:22 pm

I recently switched to a Decent Espresso basket with my Breville BDB instead of the stock Breville basket.
I am happy with it, except the ridged basket is really hard to remove it's clips in so tightly. I typically remove it to clean and backflush the BDB after using. The stock basket was much easier to take out with the portafilter spring in place.
It's effortless to remove when the spring it out of the portafilter, but then the problem is it's a pain to remove the puck from the basket without the spring holding the basket in place.
So I guess I need to switch back to a ridge less basket that isn't so tight, right?

another_jim
Team HB

Postby another_jim » Sep 09, 2018, 1:26 pm

Loosening the clip is a good compromise. Take the clip and pull it apart a little. If you get it right, the baskets pop out easily, but stay in for when knocking out the puck.

I remove baskets for dosing, and this trick works well for most of the baskets and PFs I've used.
Jim Schulman
★ Helpful

pizzaman383

Postby pizzaman383 » replying to another_jim » Sep 09, 2018, 7:52 pm

Another vote for loosening the spring clip until the basket is easy to remove and to insert without jostling the tamped coffee.
Curtis
LMWDP #551

Iowa_Boy

Postby Iowa_Boy » Sep 09, 2018, 10:08 pm

Thank you! I was able to loosen it some by pulling the clip farther apart.
Although it is still a bit tight, it's definitely a lot better!

erics

Postby erics » Sep 09, 2018, 10:52 pm

I recently switched to a Decent Espresso basket with my Breville BDB instead of the stock Breville basket.

Then why not buy another one or two and leave the portafilter spring out altogether?
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at erols dot com

Jake_G

Postby Jake_G » Sep 10, 2018, 12:14 am

erics wrote:Then why not buy another one or two and leave the portafilter spring out altogether?

Because this.
Iowa_Boy wrote:It's effortless to remove when the spring it out of the portafilter, but then the problem is it's a pain to remove the puck from the basket without the spring holding the basket in place.

I rarely swap baskets, but do revel in the idea of a softer spring. Can't believe I never though of just giving it a bit of a tweak...

Cheers!

- Jake