Do you add sugar to your espresso?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Monsterzero

#1: Post by Monsterzero »

I know sugar is bad and it's probably considered sacrilege to add it to a shot of espresso. BUT, I do add a small amount to my 36g shot and it is heaven on earth!
Do any of you add sugar to your shot? If so, how much? (asking for a friend... :oops: )

Plinyyounger

#2: Post by Plinyyounger »

Not sacrilege. A lot of folks add some sugar. As a matter of fact, going to pull another shot right now and add a little honey! Good post.
Family, coffee and fun.

Advertisement
Nunas
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Nunas »

Yes, I usually add about a level dessert spoon of sugar or less. Sometimes, I just give it a tiny stir, not enough to fully dissolve the sugar. Then, on the last sip, I get a sugar hit. My wife and I both like a little sugar in our morning lattes and cappuccinos. I used to put the sugar (again, only a little) in the shot and stir well before adding the textured milk. Lately, I've been putting the sugar in the milk before foaming. Oddly, I find I need a bit less sugar when doing it this way.

BaristaBoy E61

#4: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

No, only for guests that request it... since you're asking for a friend.

When I do add sugar, I add it before pulling the shot, then stir the extraction before adding steamed milk so that I can still create latté art that is presented to the guest that is never again invited or darkens our doorway (just kidding).
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

cmin

#5: Post by cmin »

I try to keep sugar down, track macros daily and lift at gym m-f lol. But oddly I never really cared for sugar in coffee. What I do use though is Ez Sweetz drops, liquid sucralose so 0 calorie. I'll do 1 drop in a shot or two drops for hot/cold milk drinks. Personally I love that taste it gives coffee even when I've done blind with sugar in other shots and had friends try, pretty much always prefer that over sugar.

Used for years though and recent bottle taste just slightly different, so not sure if fluke or may try another product. I still have the last bottle left, keep meaning to do side by side but keep forgetting

coffeechan

#6: Post by coffeechan »

I do on occasion. It's not a terrible idea to do for a medium dark Italian or a Dark Italian style roast maybe with Robusta. You're likely to get much more sugar and carbs from many other sources.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by JohnB. »

No, I've never been a fan of sweetened coffee.
LMWDP 267

Advertisement
jpender

#8: Post by jpender »

I almost never add it to the coffee but often I'll eat a little cookie with my drink. I think that's more or less the same thing. Don't Italians pretty much all drop a big hunk of sugar into their espressos? It can't be sacrilegious if you're not an adherent of whatever religion hates sugar.

As for it being bad for you, I think it's fine as long as you don't overdo it. A couple of teaspoons isn't a big deal. A glass of orange juice has more sugar than that.

DamianWarS

#9: Post by DamianWarS »

Monsterzero wrote:I know sugar is bad and it's probably considered sacrilege to add it to a shot of espresso. BUT, I do add a small amount to my 36g shot and it is heaven on earth!
Do any of you add sugar to your shot? If so, how much? (asking for a friend... :oops: )
Hoffmann likes it in his ristrettos

mckolit

#10: Post by mckolit »

I do not. I'll put chocolate in my cup and pull a shot over that some times.