Do you add sugar to your espresso? - Page 7

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Capuchin Monk

#61: Post by Capuchin Monk »

BaristaBob wrote: natural sweetness out of the bean (of course I never touch dark, dark roasts),
That depends on the beans. Some still have natural sweetness in dark roast. If those beans are roasted lighter, the sweetness gets masked by tartness. :(

chipman

#62: Post by chipman »

Condensed milk over espresso, (especially the iced version) is not much different than Vietnamese iced coffee.

BaristaBob

#63: Post by BaristaBob »

Capuchin Monk wrote:That depends on the beans. Some still have natural sweetness in dark roast. If those beans are roasted lighter, the sweetness gets masked by tartness. :(
Can't disagree with that. I have had a few dark roasted beans that do have a sweetness about them. My recent PNG had a nice sweetness, but it's an exception for me. Maybe I'm ordering the wrong brands?! :roll:
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Moka 1 Cup

#64: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

Espressofilo wrote:It's a Neapolitan thing, one of the weird things they do: they serve a coffee too hot, or too roasted (the Neapolitan roast is more pronounced than the average Italian), or sweet. Basically, they want to ruin your experience :-) . So, when in Naples, ask "no sugar", and prudently wait before bringing the demitasse to your lips.

Here in Rome no barista would ask such a question, there usually is a choice of sweeteners (normal sugar, cane sugar, often some artificial sweeteners) on the counter. You can ask for a ristretto or a lungo, or maybe for a caffè al vetro (in a glass demitasse), but if you ask for sugar the obvious answer would be "it's on the counter".
Years ago typically there were one or two cups with sugar and a couple of spoons, one of each side of the bancone.
Now almost all bars have these, little bags with 4-5 grams of sugar. Sweeteners too.

Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

mathof

#65: Post by mathof »

I only add sugar when I don't like the coffee. It rarely makes it better. Maybe I should try adding it to coffee I like.

lassepavoni

#66: Post by lassepavoni replying to mathof »

Yup, same thing here.
Regards, Lasse
LMWDP #744

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#67: Post by Milligan »

I agree, I've tried it back to back. Pull a medium/medium-dark shot. Sip straight. Add simple syrup. Sip again. Completely numbs the flavor. If the shot is good, why would one want to numb the flavor? I'd rather add water if it is too intense.

I'm sure it has a lot to do with how one expects their coffee to taste.

I'm DO have a sweet spot for caramel syrup in a medium-dark cappuccino on occasion.

bullet08

#68: Post by bullet08 »

Mostly Italian espresso beans. Don't use sweetener.