Do you add sugar to your espresso? - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
negrocorto

#11: Post by negrocorto »

I like sugar in my espresso. I lived in Caracas, Venezuela for ten years, where I was introduced to espresso. There's an espresso bar around almost every corner in Caracas (Venezuela means "Little Venice"), and every home has a moka pot on their stove. Everyone, as far as I could tell, drinks their espresso with sugar. And when I went to Italy a few years ago, every cup of espresso I ordered came with two packets of sugar. You might tell your "friend" that there is nothing particularly manly or pure or virtuous about drinking espresso without sugar.

Jeff
Team HB

#12: Post by Jeff »

When I first learned to drink espresso, it was Italian in Boston's North End and the question was not "if" but "one or two" sugar cubes.

Phip
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by Phip »

I now prefer espresso w/o sugar, but when I first began drinking it I'd add a bit. A favorite barista encouraged me to wean myself from the sugar to get a more intense and pure espresso experience, and before long it was straight shots. Now if we're talking Cafe Cubano down in Hialeah, then it's sugar all the way (in something like a 1:1 ratio w/ the coffee!) because the extra dark beans used traditionally are too harsh for me otherwise.
Philip
LMWDP #687

Monsterzero (original poster)

#14: Post by Monsterzero (original poster) »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote:No, only for guests that request it... since you're asking for a friend.

to the guest that is never again invited or darkens our doorway (just kidding).

Now, THAT is funny! You made me laugh. :D

yakster
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by yakster »

Seems related, a study shows a genetic link behind the preference for black coffee and dark chocolate. I prefer black coffee and dark chocolate. My parents both drank black coffee and liked dark chocolate when I was growing up, but my mom has since taken to adding creamer to her coffee.

https://dailycoffeenews.com/2022/01/19/ ... chocolate/
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

GEGIJr

#16: Post by GEGIJr »

Yes I do and don't care who knows it. However, a very light pinch and I do mean light like a kernel of kosher salt added to portafilter basket will cancel out bitterness. My late grandmother always added 1/4 tsp to her cowboy pot (kind of like making turkish coffee) and later on to the percolator basket.
That said, if the coffee is sweet enough when drinking a long black, which is mostly what I drink, I will not add any sweetener or if drinking true cold-brew I will add use simple syrup.

TenLayers
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by TenLayers »

Normally I don't. But this thread has had me make some of these the past couple days.
Shaved Mexican Piloncillo lightly stirred after the shot has been pulled.

★ Helpful

cskorton

#18: Post by cskorton »

I basically never use sugar. Compared to the espresso of the old days that was harsher and bitter, like in Napoli where it's traditional to use sugar, todays coffees and roasters are much of higher quality, resulting in a sweeter cup.

However, I wouldn't discount sugar either. My wife will occasionally use it and it brings out new dimensions of the same coffee. I particularly like James Hoffmann thinking on using sugar for a Sour Candy type shot when pulled with a super bright light roast.

sosha
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by sosha »

I love my shots "Cuban Style".....putting a thin layer or dark muscovado sugar on top of the coffee bed before pulling the shot. I consider it sheer heaven.

Coffee is meant to be enjoyed, so just do whatever you want. If you're a purist, that's great. But if you like sugar and milk, that's awesome too.
LMWDP #440
www.kelpfish.com

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by Nunas »

sosha wrote:I love my shots "Cuban Style".....putting a thin layer or dark muscovado sugar on top of the coffee bed before pulling the shot. I consider it sheer heaven. Coffee is meant to be enjoyed, so just do whatever you want. If you're a purist, that's great. But if you like sugar and milk, that's awesome too.
Now, that's one I've never heard of :) Please tell us more. I used to use muscovado sugar added to the shot, but I've never heard of putting it in the portafilter. We also liked it for a time in lattes and cappuccinos. What's the advantage of putting the sugar in the portafilter instead of adding it to the shot? What makes this "Cuban style"? I've made Cuban coffee many times, but that's a completely different thing.