Do people understand your passion for "the ultimate espresso"?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.

Do people understand your passion for "the ultimate espresso"?

Yes
15%
Some do, but most don't
63%
No
19%
N/A, not seeking "the ultimate espresso"
4%

Total votes: 54

Spironski

#1: Post by Spironski »

Yeah, what is insanity? In a way I think all you people here at HB are insane! Or is it "just" passion?

I think I have to elaborate, not being in the US: I am a passionate person. I am a professional artist, and living in the Netherlands you have to be insane to be an artist. We are the lowest of the lowest here. I have to have a job besides, in a shop (me for artists supplies) as has almost every artist in this country, and my monthly income is something like some people here at HB earn in two hours. But I don't want to complain, it's my choice.

But being the person that I am, I love the good life. I love to "tickle" all my senses. Hearing: I love good music, I know a lot about it and I have a very good hifi-set. Feeling: ehh, yes I love my girlfriend (she is a professional masseuse :-)). Seeing: like I said: I am an artist, but I also love to watch something like the colour of the sky. Smelling and Tasting: that is my main hobby! I love to cook, I keep like 20 malt whiskies and like to smoke a Cuban cigar now and then after diner, and (we are at Home-Barista, right?), make an awesome espresso with it!

I really can feel happy with my cigar, dark chocolate, malt whisky and espresso.

But people around me think I am insane. "Ah yes, that's him, with his passionate hobbies". "How can he afford those expensive things while he has no money at all?" (sometimes I wonder about that also :-)). Most people around me do not seem to understand my passion for something really really good. For my pursuit for perfection, for something without compromises (which I think art is all about).

So how is it with you people here at HB? Do people around you understand your passion for "the ultimate espresso"?

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
AndyS

#2: Post by AndyS »

Spironski wrote:Yeah, what is insanity? In a way I think all you people here at HB are insane! Or is it "just" passion? I really can feel happy with my cigar, dark chocolat, malt whisky and espresso.

But people around me think I am insane.
I am genuinely glad to hear that you are happily insane, or perhaps, insanely happy. :-)

There is no need to analyze, is there? Just enjoy! :-)
-AndyS
VST refractometer/filter basket beta tester, no financial interest in the company

Spironski (original poster)

#3: Post by Spironski (original poster) »

Hi Andy,

Thanks for that. I think you're right.

But I still am curious about how people around these HB-nutcases here, think about them... :D

Did I sense some recognition, Andy....? I mean: I am not alone, am I? :D :shock:

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

Spironski wrote:But I still am curious about how people around these HB-nutcases here, think about them... :D
Another barista trivia poll... OK, why not. Most of my non-espresso friends think I'm a bit over the top. I cannot disagree.
Dan Kehn

DavidMLewis

#5: Post by DavidMLewis »

That would be "understand, but reserve the right to shake head at" in my case. I am reliably informed, by my beloved, that seeking out the company of people crazier than you are in order to normalize your eccentricities is not, ultimately, a successful strategy.

Best,
David

ntwkgestapo

#6: Post by ntwkgestapo »

My wife cannot understand this, BUT, hey, she's the one who gave me the Gaggia Factory! :D Most people around me think the fact that I grind my coffee fresh for every drink (espresso, drip, whatever!) is insane!
Steve C.
I'm having an out of coffee experience!
LMWDP # 164

RAS

#7: Post by RAS »

People do think I'm a bit odd, but it's primarily because I am a bit odd. Especially when it comes to beverages. Whether it's coffee, tea, wine, beer, whisky, whiskey, orange juice, heck, even water - I have an opinion. I know what I like, and how I'd like it to be served (temp, vessel, breathing time, etc.).

My wife is fine with it because she knows it's all a passion for me. And what is life without some activity that makes sleeping in feel like a waste of valuable time? She is also European, and is quite "old world" (I feel quite lucky about that) - I think that's part of the reason she "gets it".

Some of my friends and co-workers sort of "get it", but they do think I'm over the top. It must be something about having two high-end espresso machines and more than one high-end grinder. But then they have expensive cars, photography equipment, telescopes, computers, audio systems - whatever is part of their passion.

I find that people with passions, hobbies, etc. do "get it". And, honestly, the passionless people who don't - I don't care about them. While we discuss the nuances of producing superior coffee, let them preoccupy themselves with some mind-numbing reality TV show.
Bob

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
Spresso_Bean

#8: Post by Spresso_Bean »

I am in the unfortunate situation where 99% of the people I know do not like coffee. They definitely don't get anything I do with it, or anything else I do such as building furniture or instruments. I get the "but you could just go buy one - it's much easier". It's not always about being easy...

Troll

#9: Post by Troll »

I'm new to the scene and just bought a rocky/silvia set-up. I was showin my g/f the new set-up and she thought it was 'neat'. I then tried to explain the steps involved for the perfect cup and that's where I lost her.

She just stared at me as if I had grown a third eye.

Jasonian

#10: Post by Jasonian »

People used to think so, but they now either understand, or have simply come to terms with it.

Those who have tasted... those are the ones who have become enlightened.
Owner - AJ Coffee Company
HB Rocks!