Distribution by vibration - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
JR_Germantown

#11: Post by JR_Germantown »

I posed the same question several years ago, both on another coffee site and here. It's been asked at least a couple of times since. I made a YouTube vid of an experiment using a scribing tool. I'll see if I can dig up that old topic.

I concluded it was informative, but impractical.

Jack

DaveC

#12: Post by DaveC »

DamianWarS wrote:that video was just posted and this VDT seems newly developed. that video certainly shows a very retail ready version of what I was thinking which is nice to see something in action. I noticed clumps on the top didn't break apart so it would be interesting to get some data as to this tools effectiveness.
I've been using the VDT for 4.5 months now. The little balls form, dunno exactly why (I have some guesses) but they fall apart when touched. I Actually wrote a review on it not just videos, so check the vid links for that. Mine is a prototype I bought back from Host, I have an extra motor and some different internal mounts that should give even more movement but not tried them yet.

You will see I've been using it for a while now in quite a few of my Videos and it's become a standard part of my prep. I've no idea what it costs, or how available it is from Antonio. I was just testing it out. I didn't write any review until I felt I had used it for long enough, hence the wait.

I'm not even sure what it's called officially I just named it the VDT (I like naming stuff). Antonio may well call it something different. He left me alone to come to my own conclusions, he saw the review for the first time along with everybody else. He is a friend of mine and I said I would test it out as a favour for him but not to sink too much money into developing it in case it did nothing at all. I've received no payment of any kind for testing/reviewing it and I have no financial interest in the product. It was actually a real ball ache taking it back through security in the hand luggage...you can read about that in the review. ;)

https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpres ... tion-tool/

Giampiero

#13: Post by Giampiero »

With a very fine grinds, does the vibration will allow some dry coffee particles to pass through the coffee basket holes?

DamianWarS (original poster)

#14: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) »

DaveC wrote:I've been using the VDT for 4.5 months now. The little balls form, dunno exactly why (I have some guesses) but they fall apart when touched. I Actually wrote a review on it not just videos, so check the vid links for that. Mine is a prototype I bought back from Host, I have an extra motor and some different internal mounts that should give even more movement but not tried them yet.

You will see I've been using it for a while now in quite a few of my Videos and it's become a standard part of my prep. I've no idea what it costs, or how available it is from Antonio. I was just testing it out. I didn't write any review until I felt I had used it for long enough, hence the wait.

I'm not even sure what it's called officially I just named it the VDT (I like naming stuff). Antonio may well call it something different. He left me alone to come to my own conclusions, he saw the review for the first time along with everybody else. He is a friend of mine and I said I would test it out as a favour for him but not to sink too much money into developing it in case it did nothing at all. I've received no payment of any kind for testing/reviewing it and I have no financial interest in the product. It was actually a real ball ache taking it back through security in the hand luggage...you can read about that in the review. ;)

https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpres ... tion-tool/
Thanks for this, this tool certainly is a developed version of what I was thinking. I would be interested how it shows up on a DE1+ vs a regular tamp particularly with the flow profile as this might be more objective as it's just raw data. But it sounds like it does have a positive impact on your shots still

JR_Germantown

#15: Post by JR_Germantown »

JR_Germantown wrote:I posed the same question several years ago, both on another coffee site and here. It's been asked at least a couple of times since. I made a YouTube vid of an experiment using a scribing tool. I'll see if I can dig up that old topic.

I concluded it was informative, but impractical.

Jack
Here's my post from 2009, and it has a link to the original post on that other coffee site whose name and URL I no longer use.
The Weiss Distribution Technique is NOT a 'cheat'! (video included)

I'm interested in catching up on what others have learned since then. ;)

Jack

Giampiero

#16: Post by Giampiero »

Dental vibrator for espresso grounds?

So it takes 14 years ( at least from the post date linked ) before to see a developed product and the comment of DaveC was great :lol:

DaveC

#17: Post by DaveC »

Giampiero wrote:With a very fine grinds, does the vibration will allow some dry coffee particles to pass through the coffee basket holes?
I've never had that happen...

Terranova
Supporter ❤

#18: Post by Terranova »

We also had Antonio in our workshop, trying the VDT thing.
On one grinder it was counterproductive (visual extraction) but maybe more interesting for EK43 output which we also tried.
We need to see some objective data, but I am sure there is much potential in that idea, just nobody really knows what speed is better and what impact it has...etc.

price tag is max. $300 (the one in my hand)

DamianWarS (original poster)

#19: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) replying to Terranova »

So what sort of objective do you think is needed?

Terranova
Supporter ❤

#20: Post by Terranova replying to DamianWarS »

Extraction Yield, TDS