Discussion of James Bond's Espresso technique

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
DamianWarS

#1: Post by DamianWarS »

Recently after watching Hoffmann's video review of the La Pavoni Europiccola he brings up a scene in a Bond movie that uses it commenting that Bond's unorthodox technique might make him the worse bond ever. I remember the scene, I'm not quite old enough to say I saw the movie upon release but old enough to say I did a VHS bond marathon back in college. At the time I didn't know a thing about espresso (apparently the crew didn't either) and all I saw was cool bond gadgets, which I think was the point. I still see the gadgets and I still don't know what bond is doing with the coffee.

here's the clip
he's using some sort of modified Europiccola. the base is taken off and it has some sort of metal plate where the coffee sits. The grinder also has some sort of housing over it I'm guessing this is so everything looks more uniform with the set.

He pulls a gusher shot, then pours milk directly into the cup using a ceramic mug (not the best thing to pour milk with) then steams it all together. it looks like he inserts the OPV and the steam wand to do the steaming.

Anyone know what sort of grinder he's using?

Bluecold

#2: Post by Bluecold »

The grinder is a Gaggia Sirio
Lever Espresso Machine Gallery
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Jeff
Team HB

#3: Post by Jeff »

Like advice to any newcomer

"Grind finer!"

DamianWarS (original poster)

#4: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) »

Bluecold wrote:The grinder is a Gaggia Sirio
Lever Espresso Machine Gallery
i guess the housing on the grinder was stock.