Decent Espresso v4 58.45mm Tamper - Honest review

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Kryptonicspb

#1: Post by Kryptonicspb »

I am a little over two months into ownership and can now share some feedback I wish I'd seen prior to purchasing. Let me start by saying the decent funnel, milk pitcher, and WDT tool have been a joy to use*

Before the decent, I'd owned traditional tampers, and spent years honing that particular skill

I'm here to say if eliminating variables in puck prep equates to more consistent extractions, go for it. Leveling tampers are fantastic and using it has not detracted from the "home barista" hands on experience, only enhanced it

That said, I would not buy the decent tamper again - and will be replacing it with another leveling tamper

Why? Two reasons specifically

-First

the size of the base is too narrow for vst baskets. Every tamp I am left with a messy rim of coffee on the interior edge of my basket. Is this a design flaw? No. Decent has their own basket and I assume this tamper fits it more snug than VSTs. This is the primary reason I'll be replacing the decent tamper

My VST baskets are rimless, decent baskets are rimmed. If rimmed is your thing, the decent tamper + decent basket combo may be a good fit for you

-Second

the v4 "anti-stick" base, is anything but anti-stick. The only advertised difference between the v3 and the v4 was the anti stick benefit and a redesigned handle. It looks like decent no longer sells the v3, but the cost difference at the time was significant. It would be a non factor if Decent never advertised that difference; but the feature doesn't work

What do I like about it?

-The leveling feature as mentioned before

-The handle is comfortable, smooth, and the black matches my set up

-The spring resistance seems ideal

-The fit and finish is nice

One thing that rubbed me the wrong way was when I first reached out to Decent with a question on my shipping via WhatsApp, I got a fast friendly response. When I shared this feedback in a polite fashion in the same chat - crickets

In conclusion if you're using VST baskets - be prepared for a mess. If you're expecting the base to not have coffee clinging to it after each use - modify your expectations

I am now researching the 5 star eazytamp, the forcetamp, and the levtamp to replace this one.

★ Helpful

michael

#2: Post by michael »

For sure that coffee sticks to that non stick base but the fit is fine for the E&B superfine baskets

Kafatek leva tamp is great but hard to get 8)

BaristaBob

#3: Post by BaristaBob »

I have this tamper too, minus the anti stick finish (v3). I agree with your assessment on grounds up the side of VST baskets, which does not happen with my Force tamper using the 58.5mm base. I highly recommend this tamper or even the Bravo tamper (however I have not personally used the Bravo, just read great feedback). I see the Bravo even comes with a 58.6mm base, but that size makes me nervous with my VST baskets.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

HedonisticBeans

#4: Post by HedonisticBeans »

Kryptonicspb wrote: That said, I would not buy the decent tamper again - and will be replacing it with another leveling tamper

Why? Two reasons specifically

-First

the size of the base is too narrow for vst baskets. Every tamp I am left with a messy rim of coffee on the interior edge of my basket. Is this a design flaw? No. Decent has their own basket and I assume this tamper fits it more snug than VSTs. This is the primary reason I'll be replacing the decent tamper

My VST baskets are rimless, decent baskets are rimmed. If rimmed is your thing, the decent tamper + decent basket combo may be a good fit for you
Same conundrum.
In all three baskets:
18g VST
20g VST
18/20 IMS E&B

Leaves an un-tamped ring.

I've ordered the normcore

58.45 vs 58.5

biketo

#5: Post by biketo »

I've been using the V3 for over 18 months and use it primarily with a VST 20g basket with an 18g dose. After WDT I always use a wedge style distributor (one turn) to create just enough space to insert the Decent Tamper without making a mess. Perhaps that's why I don't see grounds pushing up around the edges of the tamper, because the sides of the VST are gently sloped inward and my tamp is starting at the optimal diameter. I'm not suggesting you keep your tamper, just trying to explain why I am satisfied with my results and haven't considered upgrading.

HedonisticBeans

#6: Post by HedonisticBeans »

biketo wrote:I've been using the V3 for over 18 months and use it primarily with a VST 20g basket with an 18g dose. After WDT I always use a wedge style distributor (one turn) to create just enough space to insert the Decent Tamper without making a mess. Perhaps that's why I don't see grounds pushing up around the edges of the tamper, because the sides of the VST are gently sloped inward and my tamp is starting at the optimal diameter. I'm not suggesting you keep your tamper, just trying to explain why I am satisfied with my results and haven't considered upgrading.
You likely have good fortune because your tamp is deeper in the basket as you're using 18 grams.
Your puck is sitting deeper in the basket - where the diameter is smaller.