Decent DE1 and Monolith Flat SSW

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Abecker

#1: Post by Abecker »

I have heard various issues between the DE1 and the Monolith Max where the grinder was difficult to dial in and get a good shot. Has anyone has similar experiences with the Monolith Flat, specifically with the SSW burrs?

DamianWarS
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by DamianWarS » replying to Abecker »

It might be better to ask in the decent forum over HB. With more specific questions (regarding your decent) your going to get more hits in a forum where everyone already owns a decent.

pcrussell50

#3: Post by pcrussell50 »

Abecker wrote:I have heard various issues between the DE1 and the Monolith Max where the grinder was difficult to dial in and get a good shot. Has anyone has similar experiences with the Monolith Flat, specifically with the SSW burrs?
I had both a Flat and a Max. On both, I had the most success if I did RDT, ground into a vessel like a small Weck jar, and mixed like crazy with a cocktail whisk ... before funneling into the portafilter and proceeding with a normal puck prep from there.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

vietcrunk

#4: Post by vietcrunk »

DE1 Pro with a Max with SLM. Getting great shots with various profiles. I RDT and WDT and use a metal puck screen. What issues are you running into?

Quester

#5: Post by Quester »

Abecker wrote:I have heard various issues between the DE1 and the Monolith Max where the grinder was difficult to dial in and get a good shot. Has anyone has similar experiences with the Monolith Flat, specifically with the SSW burrs?
Set up Visualizer so you can post a link either in Decent Diaspora or another Decent form. It's hard to troubleshoot without knowing what profile and what's happening with the shot.

I have not used the SSW burrs, but the SLM burrs on a MAX are fairly easy with the DE1. Much easier than some of the SSP burrs that have fewer fines. As least that's true with my setup.

Abecker (original poster)

#6: Post by Abecker (original poster) »

Just to clarify, I'm not having any issues. I don't have the DE1 yet. But I remember seeing some discussion about the Max and the DE1 being difficult to pull consistently good shots.

sluflyer06

#7: Post by sluflyer06 »

I would think the SW burrs will be finicky in general as they are meant to work roughly like EK shots with long ratios according to Denis flowchart.

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by PIXIllate »

The SSW burrs are the opposite of finicky. I find it almost impossible to pull a sink shot with them in the year plus I've been using them daily.

Quester

#9: Post by Quester »

Abecker wrote:Just to clarify, I'm not having any issues. I don't have the DE1 yet. But I remember seeing some discussion about the Max and the DE1 being difficult to pull consistently good shots.
Thanks for clarifying. I read "I have had various issues" instead of "I have heard various issues."

Iowa_Boy

#10: Post by Iowa_Boy »

I have a DE1 and Max and don't find it any more difficult to get good shots than my MC3.
The only issue I have had is my MAX (which was from the first batch so SSP burrs?) is a fair amount static, even with RDT.
So I typically use the MC3.
Curious if the updated burr do better in that regard? Or maybe I just need to fine tune my RDT workflow!