Decafino decaf pouch (Kickstarter)

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
yakster
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by yakster »

Decafino has a Kickstarter for a decaf pouch that you add to brewed coffee and the beads in the pouch remove the caffeine through adsorption. It's a very interesting idea, not having to buy decaf green coffee, roast decaf (which acts differently in the roaster) and keep roasted decaf coffee, which has a shorter shelf-life fresh. I was going to get in on the Early Bird Special, but checking the FAQ, the only thing that's stopping me is the shelf life of the pouches. Here's what Decafino says about that.
Currently, our testing is out to several months and it looks good. We anticipate the shelf-life will be able to extend to 6-12 months or longer, but that sort of testing takes some time.
I don't think that I'd end up using more than half a dozen of these pouches in a year, so a shelf life of several months concerns me. I'd still be interested to try.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/de ... y-to-decaf
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

DerpCoffee

#2: Post by DerpCoffee »

Hello Chris,

I'm from the Decafino Team. I'm glad that you're interested in our product! We're confident that the shelf-life will be longer than a year. We hope you will give the Decaf Pouch a try and support us on our project. If you have any more question or concerns, feel free to reach out to us :D

Best,

Margerie

Advertisement
jesse

#3: Post by jesse »

I'll be interested to try this product, but if the pouches are single use as I suspect, $1.50 per pouch makes it an unrealistic solution for daily use.

MikeTheBlueCow

#4: Post by MikeTheBlueCow »

I backed this because I think it's a great idea. I'm not so concerned about shelf life because if it works then I'll be able to enjoy an extra cup of coffee whenever I like, so I'll use them frequently enough. It doesn't look like it's getting the support on KS right now, unfortunately. I think if they had more options and less expensive options - maybe one where you get a 3 pack, then a 3 pack with a mug, then a 3 pack with a mug and stickers, etc. because then it would be easier for people to give amounts like $10, $15, etc.

I think this would be great to have decaf on demand and to be able to comparison taste the same coffee (even the same brew) as caf vs decaf to see how exactly it effects the taste.

jesse

#5: Post by jesse »

I emailed the company about whether they intend to lower the price after scaling up production eventually, and the owner got back with me and confirmed.

I also learned that one pouch is intended for use with 16 oz of coffee. I suggested opening the bags and using half the amount of beads in a tea strainer for an 8 oz cup, which he said would be fine.

So anyway, I'm backing this one.

jesse

#6: Post by jesse »

Sadly, they only raised about of fifth of their goal. I guess if the lack of pledges are any indication, despite the demand for good decaf being at seemingly an all time high, the demand for this technology just isn't there yet. Or maybe the campaign just didn't get enough exposure? I know at least Sprudge did a piece on it..

Bummed. I'm sure it'll still find it's way to market at some point, though.

yakster (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster (original poster) »

Too bad they didn't reach their goal, but hoping that they move forward anyway.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Advertisement
yakster (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by yakster (original poster) »

Kevin Sinnott (Coffeecon) posted a review/interview with Andy Liu of the Decafino pouch on Facebook here and it's promising, but still not generally available.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272