Custom tamper project..

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
TheJavaCup77

#1: Post by TheJavaCup77 »

I've gotten a caliper to measure my IMS baskets internal diameter and decided to cut a precision flat base out of stainless steel

Joe-Frex sells pretty damn good tamper handles... and i think i might be able to attach that to my custom made base..

But i'm not sure what attachment system they're using.. maybe generic threading like M8 threads??
It could be as complex or as simple as you want. It's the choice of the barista.

tohenk2

#2: Post by tohenk2 »

It is a standard M8 thread.

Advertisement
tohenk2

#3: Post by tohenk2 »

Oh, I used the basket itself to make a perfect fit while sizing the base. Works just as well as callipers (maybe even better)

I found centering the thread to be a bit of a challenge. Sizing & centering the base & hole is easy, but the thread ... quite easy to tap it slightly off-center (I do not do this for a living, never had any formal training on a lathe!).

TheJavaCup77 (original poster)

#4: Post by TheJavaCup77 (original poster) replying to tohenk2 »

Thanks tohenk2, for pointing that out i'm quite worried that it will be off-center...

I've drawn a few plans..

The base size would be:

base diameter = Internal diameter measurement of basket (IMS B70 2t H26.5m Competizione) subtracted by 0.1mm

the thickness of the base would be 1/2 of the measured basket depth..

the tapping still remains to be an issue.. i will still be thinking about that..

Once i'm confident.. i'd get some help from a friend of mine to cut it on a lathe.. and drill a M8 hole dead center on the base..
It could be as complex or as simple as you want. It's the choice of the barista.

TheJavaCup77 (original poster)

#5: Post by TheJavaCup77 (original poster) »

Seems like fun i think.. :D

tohenk2

#6: Post by tohenk2 »

it is fun!