Cups You Made Yourself - Page 3

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
pGolay

#21: Post by pGolay »

Here's are some porcelain demi-tasses - polished but unglazed on the outside, glaze only on the inside.
-PG
★ Helpful

pGolay

#22: Post by pGolay »

Here are a few recents out of the kiln - various sizes...
-PG

BaristaBoy E61

#23: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

A very cool thread - I'm enjoying this very much!

Thanks all for exhibiting!
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

jpender

#24: Post by jpender »

I took a pottery class on a lark a few months ago, just for the heck of it. Very quickly I discovered how much fun it can be.

I mostly use a Cappuccino sized cup for my morning coffee but I had to at least try to make a mug.

Here's my very first attempt:

Pottery isn't easy, at least not for most people. It's normal to be terrible at first. That's my mantra.

My second attempt:

I finally got the handles to stick but the mugs were pretty darn ugly (and super heavy):

These ones were a lot better but still flawed in ways that are not visible in the photo:

This one was a qualified success. Shorter than planned and a little bit heavy but quite usable:

I've had a little better luck with vases:

I'm improving but I still stink. At least 95% of what I start ends up either squashed on the wheel, squashed when trimming, or taken downstairs to meet Mr. Hammer. It's okay, I've found that destroying pottery is as fun as making it. I've got a long ways to go...

FWIW these were mostly B-Mix. The last two were speckled buff. Cone 5 (6?) oxidation. I just joined a different studio that has a cone 10 reduction kiln. That should be fun.

Factoid: B-mix was named after Martin Butt, a former employee of Laguna Clay. For a while he had them making it just for him, a special mix, and they labeled it "Butt's Mix". When Laguna decided to sell it more widely they figured a name change was a good idea.

Jofari

#25: Post by Jofari »

pGolay wrote:Here are a few recents out of the kiln - various sizes...
Those are really nice looking!
jpender wrote:This one was a qualified success. Shorter than planned and a little bit heavy but quite usable:
Seems like you're improving quickly! I did some pottery a few years ago and the first thing I realized is that it's very difficult to make a lightweight object.

pGolay

#26: Post by pGolay »

At least 95% of what I start ends up either squashed on the wheel, squashed when trimming, or taken downstairs to meet Mr. Hammer. It's okay,
Heh! Carry on! I live by the 10% rule >>> 90% of anything I make is crap. (actually, it might be more universal than just mine, but...) Look carefully before deciding to keep anything, and even then, crap gets through!
That said, I agree with Ari - what you show is real progress.
-PG

Sal

#27: Post by Sal »

They are beautiful cups/mugs. Thank you for sharing the photos. While I have no talent for making my own cups, I love hand-made mugs for my coffee. I had a favorite Iga ware (伊賀焼, Iga-yaki) coffee mug from Japan, a gift from my wife. But broke it. Now use a generic unbreakable thermos cup. :cry:

I am a home-roaster, not a home-barista...

pGolay

#28: Post by pGolay »

A couple more demi-tasse thoughts....
-PG

jpender

#29: Post by jpender »

I really like that ^^ melted/drippy glaze look.

Here are my first items at the cone 10 reduction studio I joined:

That mug on the right was supposed to be green but it came out bronze/brown instead. Lots to learn!

pGolay

#30: Post by pGolay »

Under-reduced celadon?
-PG