The craziest %#*$ing thing I've seen all day... - Page 318

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Marcelnl
Supporter ♡

#3171: Post by Marcelnl »

:shock: I can only begin to imagine how the chimney will look after a few days, and how the smoke smells...
LMWDP #483

harrisonpatm

#3172: Post by harrisonpatm »

Are these supposed to be used for smoking then? Because normally I've seen these mills used to grind wheat and veg into animal feed, like for rabbits or goats or whatnot. I can't imagine coffee being used for smoking meat with good results; too bitter. Perhaps used in addition to wood pellets, as a small percentage of total wood?

NicoNYC

#3173: Post by NicoNYC »

You can burn those in a "pellet stove", it looks like any other standalone "cast iron" stove - think cozy log cabin - with a metal flue vented through the wall or roof. The pellet stoves are nice since rather than having to put logs in every few hours, you can fill a hopper with pellets and an auger feeds them in as they're burned up. The fancy ones will reignite if the flame goes out and have a thermostat that will regulate the stove's output, I wouldn't be surprised if someone sells a smart one that'll turn the heat up an hour before your alarm goes off! Sure beats having to get a log going first thing after waking up.
LMWDP #718

jpender

#3174: Post by jpender »

I'll bet it would stink like garbage.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#3175: Post by LBIespresso »

NicoNYC wrote:You can burn those in a "pellet stove", it looks like any other standalone "cast iron" stove - think cozy log cabin - with a metal flue vented through the wall or roof. The pellet stoves are nice since rather than having to put logs in every few hours, you can fill a hopper with pellets and an auger feeds them in as they're burned up. The fancy ones will reignite if the flame goes out and have a thermostat that will regulate the stove's output, I wouldn't be surprised if someone sells a smart one that'll turn the heat up an hour before your alarm goes off! Sure beats having to get a log going first thing after waking up.
I hear they are somewhat popular in VT
LMWDP #580

AMac

#3176: Post by AMac »

jpender wrote:I'll bet it would stink like garbage.
If you get your grounds from Starbucks, it's so close to carbon that you're just forming it into charcoal pellets.

jpender

#3177: Post by jpender »

I think even the darkest French roast still has a pronounced coffee smell to it.

I dried a series of spent pucks (dozens of them) several years ago and, even though I love the smell of coffee, the odor of the drying grounds was repulsive. Would it have smelled better if I'd lit the pucks on fire? Somehow I doubt it.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#3178: Post by yakster »

I think these pellets are used primarily for heating and you can include the parchment and other organic materials in pellet making at origin, but I did find a few BBQ sites that talked about using coffee pellets and it didn't sound like the smell was objectionable, in fact it seemed like the coffee pellets gave less smoke. Of course the pellets are already dried which could account for this. Pellet stoves are common, but I'm finding pellet patio heaters are available, but about 3x the cost of the propane ones and these heaters don't have augers.

I went down this rabbit hole after dumping the chaff (which is said to burn hot in pellet form) in the trash prior to roasting yesterday and considering ways to reuse this waste.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Capuchin Monk

#3179: Post by Capuchin Monk »

On a somewhat related story, I just received a new machine today (early Christmas for me) via freight shipping in pallet. Below are images. I wasn't sure why 2 boxes, unless they sent me some free stuff as a treat. :)

Turns out that one box is empty. That's the craziest thing I've see all day. :shock: :(

MB

#3180: Post by MB »

Uneven to discourage stacking, maybe?
LMWDP #472