The craziest %#*$ing thing I've seen all day... - Page 307

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
shawndo

#3061: Post by shawndo »

highend vocabulary: "separation of instruments" vs "separation of flavors"
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
★ Helpful

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#3062: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Coffee in space:

You may need a NY Times subscription. Original article has links:

The need for caffeine was the mother of invention.

In November 2008, Donald Pettit wanted to drink his tea and coffee from an open vessel. While aboard the I.S.S., he tore out a plastic divider from his Flight Data File and used the magic of fluid dynamics to create an open cup. Until then, astronauts drank everything out of a plastic bag with a straw.

We interact with coffee through aroma as much as through taste. In a bag, half of the experience was gone; Dr. Pettit said that he wanted to add "back the dimension of what it's like to be a human being."

When Samantha Cristoforetti, the first Italian woman in space, went to the I.S.S., the Italian Space Agency in collaboration with Lavazza and Argotec, built a zero-g espresso machine, the ISSpresso. To save her from drinking espresso in a bag, Mark Weislogel, an engineer at Portland State university, designed a true 'zero-g cup' based on Dr. Pettit's invention.

In 2015, as Dr. Kjell Lindgren was preparing to launch for NASA, he had concerns about coffee.

"I love coffee and I was worried that our standard freeze-dried brew wasn't going to cut it," he said.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

rainy_coffee

#3063: Post by rainy_coffee »

I didn't get a chance to ask the barista at Vivace if they were still using the Niche for their decaf, but I think the hopper mod speaks for itself. Creative, and awesome to see home gear hacked for pro use...

Evan

LMWDP #678

ira
Team HB

#3064: Post by ira »

For reasons I don't understand my wife decided I needed some chocolate covered espresso beans. I put an actual 58mm tamper on top for a size reference. We give away foil covered fish shaped chocolate to our customers ever holiday season so this came in the boxes with 160 pounds of Chocolate fish.

Ira

IamOiman
Team HB

#3065: Post by IamOiman »

Check this out, a friend found this E61 for sale, but one of the groups is bigger than normal, and has a quad portafilter spout! I have never seen this before, and the machine itself otherwise is like other E61 machines from the era. I wonder if others have seen this or know more about it.

-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#3066: Post by LBIespresso »

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMJpfX5nR/

Would never try this with my own gear but it would be fun to try stuff like this.
LMWDP #580

Jeff
Team HB

#3067: Post by Jeff »

In case you just upgraded and are still craving a Nespresso...

From Genius Equipment

RobertL

#3068: Post by RobertL »

Or for the significant other who doesn't want to learn to make espresso. :D

Randy G.

#3069: Post by Randy G. replying to RobertL »

I prefer to remain indispensable. :D
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Qporzk

#3070: Post by Qporzk »

Went down a rabbit-hole of cheap grinders on Amazon and found this:

I think the grinds might be a teensy bit clumpy from this one :lol: