The craziest %#*$ing thing I've seen all day... - Page 291

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#2901: Post by baldheadracing »

Chaff from coffee roasting for McD's will be used to make headlights for Ford.
Atul said it takes the skins of 392,000 coffee beans to make one housing unit. McDonalds throws away 1.2 million pounds of coffee bean skins each week.
https://canada.autonews.com/technology/ ... headlights
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

TomC
Team HB

#2902: Post by TomC »

baldheadracing wrote:Chaff from coffee roasting for McD's will be used to make headlights for Ford.

https://canada.autonews.com/technology/ ... headlights

I see all sorts of cool, odd materials being cast into resin and then shaped into things like chef's knife handles or pocketknives. It would be cool to see someone make a coffee roaster's tryer handle out of resin impregnated chaff. Wouldn't be too hard to do. Well mixed, then into a weighted mold, then turned on a lathe. Probably would look pretty cool too.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Advertisement
TomC
Team HB

#2903: Post by TomC »

I'm going to make one out of roasted coffee beans that are stale and otherwise destined for the trash. Whole coffee beans will look even cooler than just a brown homogeneous material. And for light use at home, it's strength shouldn't be a major issue. If it turns out ok, I'll share a comment in the Roasting forum about it.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2904: Post by baldheadracing »

Nestle is starting a roasting service. If I am reading this press release correctly, Nestle will partially roast the beans and then your local shop finishes the roast. (Greece & Scandinavia to start.) Looks like a Fracino Roastalino (tabletop UK air roaster) is being used.

Press release:
https://www.nestle.com/media/news/nestl ... ut-of-home

Video:
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Chert

#2905: Post by Chert »

Error of two days ago:

My takahira kettle glowed red atop the induction portable element I have. I had checked to be sure there was water in it. But the light was dim and so was my brain.

That would be a stupid way to ruin a nice pourover kettle or start a kitchen fire.

Do better induction plates have a safety feature to prevent heating metal to over 900 deg F?
LMWDP #198

Marcelnl

#2906: Post by Marcelnl »

Chert wrote:Error of two days ago:

Do better induction plates have a safety feature to prevent heating metal to over 900 deg F?
Shouldn't all induction plates have such safety feature :shock:
LMWDP #483

jpender

#2907: Post by jpender »

I've seen timer and motion detection based auto shutoff devices for stoves. A temperature based shutoff might be tricky. Would you have to disable it to stir fry?

When I was 18 I came home after being up all night at my high school graduation party and decided I needed a snack. I put some food in a pot of water on the stove and thought that lying down on the couch while it heated up made good sense. I became aware sometime later of my mother's screams and the fact that the room was filled with smoke. It wasn't enough to rouse me. Hours later I awoke to discover the blackened wall behind the stove and a steel saucepan that had melted.

I still leave the stove on low by accident now and then, sometimes for hours. It does worry me a bit...

Advertisement
Marcelnl

#2908: Post by Marcelnl »

yeah houses still burn down due to similarly unattended frying pans put on a stove for some late night snacking, for direct gas fire and open flame it's not common and not that easy to have any safety but for a new and electronic device such as an induction stove I somehow expected that there would be a mandatory failsafe imposed by regulations, it should be possible to add a Max temperature protection, that glass surface can only become X degrees before it goes...for anything else there are smoke detectors (yet having those in a kitchen means you cannot do any serious stir frying).

My Pizza oven is a first gen, which can go all the way up to 400"C, not a great idea as the plastic knobs fall off at that temperature, and I surely don't ever leave it unattended. later models have been restricted to only get up to somewhere like 300 'C supposedly because of a new EU regulation.
LMWDP #483

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2909: Post by yakster »

I love this.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Chert

#2910: Post by Chert »

Marcelnl wrote:yeah houses still burn down due to similarly unattended frying pans put on a stove for some late night snacking, for direct gas fire and open flame it's not common and not that easy to have any safety but for a new and electronic device such as an induction stove I somehow expected that there would be a mandatory failsafe imposed by regulations, it should be possible to add a Max temperature protection, that glass surface can only become X degrees before it goes...for anything else there are smoke detectors (yet having those in a kitchen means you cannot do any serious stir frying).

My Pizza oven is a first gen, which can go all the way up to 400"C, not a great idea as the plastic knobs fall off at that temperature, and I surely don't ever leave it unattended. later models have been restricted to only get up to somewhere like 300 'C supposedly because of a new EU regulation.

I don't mind setting off a smoke detector, as long as it is just the pizza making process. Better to have them and lots of false alarms.
LMWDP #198