The craziest %#*$ing thing I've seen all day... - Page 235

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
tohenk2

#2341: Post by tohenk2 »

weebit_nutty wrote:UCC's flannel drip coffee machine. The first and only I've seen. Not sure I'd order coffee from one, to be honest.
Why not? Maybe you'll like it :mrgreen: (We have a high risk of getting some undrinkable espresso every single time we visit a new shop - so why not try this instead? It might be delicious ... and certainly something new!)

weebit_nutty

#2342: Post by weebit_nutty » replying to tohenk2 »

I don't have anything against this type of brewing. I have brewed coffee with cloth filters plenty of times. I don't have any problems when *I* do it. But there are stringent handling requirements that I simply do not trust will be followed, and especially ones that are hidden away in a machine. Now if I was assured the flannel filters were disposable, single use filters, sure I'd have no problem with it, so long as I knew who made them.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

canuckcoffeeguy

#2343: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

beta14ok wrote:Fun tour indeed.

Ya James Brown !! ....then Moby

Cast is really cast !
+1 :D

civ

#2344: Post by civ »

Hello:
tohenk2 wrote: ... It might be delicious ... and certainly something new!)
It's certainly not new.

I inherited the love of coffee from my great aunt Clara, who made coffee every morning using this method for more than 60 years.

She lived with us the last 20+ years of her life and through watching her go about it I learnt the simple intricancies of this brewing method which has been around for ages.

An adecquate cloth filter (cotton only) properly cured and properly rinsed after each use, the proper coffee with the proper grind, very special care not to over-extract and control of brew water temperature, something she could achieve with only her senses.

Her brews had what I now realise was an incredible consistency and were delicious, evey time.

Although I roast my coffee and make my morning espressos/lattes on my vintage Cimbali D/1 I still miss her early morning cafe au lait, particularly when I make the mistake of asking for one at a bar or coffee shop when I am away from my kit.

Cheers,

CIV

weebit_nutty

#2345: Post by weebit_nutty »

Nice story :)
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

ash4889

#2346: Post by ash4889 »

Randy G.

#2347: Post by Randy G. »

Hey Doug. I think that post was not appropriate for this particular forum area. What I mean is, I just do not understand what is it about that which makes it suitable for the "The craziest %#*$ing thing I've seen all day..."? We need to work together. The Chlorine isn't going to pour itself into the gene pool! :lol:
Espresso! My Espresso! - http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
LMWDP #644

DanoM

#2348: Post by DanoM »

weebit_nutty wrote:I don't have anything against this type of brewing. I have brewed coffee with cloth filters plenty of times. I don't have any problems when *I* do it. But there are stringent handling requirements that I simply do not trust will be followed, and especially ones that are hidden away in a machine. Now if I was assured the flannel filters were disposable, single use filters, sure I'd have no problem with it, so long as I knew who made them.
Just so you know, UCC makes flannel filters for many styles of brewing here in Japan. Most are only available to professional shops from what I've heard, and they come with instructions on the number of uses and handling. I've seen them used for siphon brewers and drip brewers in small shops. Most of the pro shops are using flannel for drip and siphon brewing too. Not an unusual filter material here in Japan.

BTW, I had an espresso at a UCC corporate cafe in Sapporo last month. While it was okay it sat on a bench for 2 minutes post pull, and I was thinking, "that can't be mine can it?" Once it finally came I wasn't going to get all pissy about it and gave it a try. It was cool by then but still tasted decent. I paid my check and left, then sent an email to corporate so they could deal with the issue properly later - a little more training would help I think.
LMWDP #445

Headala

#2349: Post by Headala »

Batman has a Speedster downstairs in the Bat Cave:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bruce ... 5c!6m1!1e1

(It's to the right behind the Batmobile)

russel

#2350: Post by russel »

And a K30
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com