Covid-19 and loss of taste and smell. Espresso taste.

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
redbone

#1: Post by redbone »

Got caught up in a work acquired outbreak of Covid-19 in particular the B.1.1.7 a.k.a U.K. variant in early May.
Took me 7-8 days to feel somewhat back to normal no hospitalization all isolated in spare bedroom at home. Son and wife were tested 3x and never got it.

Did suffer loss of smell and taste was only able to taste salt initially. Espresso is a good litmus test as it requires ones full arsenal of smell and taste. Post Covid espresso is lacking that final nuance using similar methods, machines and coffee. Pour over and drip while not quite there does seem less effected.

Trying some alternative low risk thinks to improve my immune and regain full smell and taste. Herbal teas, Chinese herbs etc..

Has anyone else had similar experiences?
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

jevenator

#2: Post by jevenator »

It took me about 2-3 weeks after symptoms to be able to start tasting foods and such and probably another 2-3 weeks to get back to what I thought was around 90% as well. This was back in Jan.

Loss of smell is called anosmia. For the last 3+ months, my wife and I have been experiencing parosmia which is a distorted sense of smell. Trash, armpit perspiration, feces, some sewage, fried foods like French fries, sometimes meat, some ramen, some medium/dark roasted coffee etc., all share a common smell of an unpleasant mixture of sourness, pungent umami, and other smells that I can't really describe.

I don't think you can fix it. It's on a neurological level at this point.

chipman

#3: Post by chipman »

May be a good time to start that diet you were putting off.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#4: Post by jbviau »

Robert, sorry to hear that. There's a Dutch Q grader I interact with online sometimes who's been dealing with anosmia for a year now IIRC. It might be worth combing through some of his recent tweets about the experience here (scroll down a bit): https://twitter.com/Normanito1
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

redbone (original poster)

#5: Post by redbone (original poster) »

Some previous smells also seem different now. My shave creams with varying scents, smell similar but not as before odd but like scents when I first encountered them as a child. Wonder if these are memory based as much as olfactory based. Lady at work who also had the 1st shot Pz shot when she got P1.1.1.7 claims to have regained her full scent post the 2nd Pz shot.

Thanks for sharing. I did end up losing weight and have since increased my exercise regiment. Had acupuncture, cupping and booked massage with RMT tomorrow.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

coffeechan

#6: Post by coffeechan »

Not a doctor, but some sensical things to support your recovery might be Vitamin C, Vitamin D, and Zinc might help.

Marcelnl

#7: Post by Marcelnl »

Sorry to hear that, that is the one side effect I dread most of that virus...Try search some, I also read a couple of reports of people claiming their sense of taste and smell improved after getting vaccinated, there may be something to it.
LMWDP #483

Spitz.me

#8: Post by Spitz.me »

I think there's one positive thing to hold onto there and that is it doesn't seem to be life-long for most people according to a study. Therefore, it will pass! It was something like 40% of the study participants regained their sense of smell after 6 months and 90% after a year. I just read the finding of the study so I have no extra info!
LMWDP #670

mgallagh

#9: Post by mgallagh »

Dealt with this a little bit clinically. Fortunately or unfortunately there's not a lot of evidence for what works, but what we do know is regular exposure to different smells might help and has very little downside other than the time commitment. This website both sells "smell training" kits and has instructions on how to make your own: https://abscent.org/learn-us/smell-training
Most folks do recover over time regardless, just some take longer than others.

More uhh. Reps? With the espresso may also help retrain if you can tolerate the current flavor.

happycat

#10: Post by happycat »

The brain has neuroplasticity. So regardless of age you can relearn anything and you might try an approach of working through a systematic retraining. The coffee association has a flavour wheel with grocery products related to each flavour. You could work your way through the wheel using products related to each aroma. Might be fun for you and open up your espresso tasting in the future as well.

My understanding is the body's immune system can overreact to COVID replication by unleashing storms of blood clots and inflammation. Diff people get clots in diff organs. So you might have bits of your brain and oher organs damaged. It's worth monitoring yourself, overloading your body with nutrients for rebuilding, avoiding stressing it with poor habits.
LMWDP #603