Covid-19 and loss of taste and smell. Espresso taste. - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
redbone (original poster)

#11: Post by redbone (original poster) »

Guess I'm lucky in that in that I got 90% of my smell back within 2 months vs 6 month. Did have short lived parosmia to raw chicken in particular. Watched all the related Abscent online video, interesting and helpful thanks. I've already started doing a similar smell-a-thon in an attempt to relearn or awaken the olfactory nerves.

On the plus I've examined my diet added supplements and exercise. Positive that I will get over this within a short period of time. Can taste the bitterness in Fever-Tree tonic water with added natural quinine. Sweet and spicy are the two basic tastes that are the slowest to return.

On occasion order a roti (fav green mango & long bean) from a local Trinidadian restaurant. Use to ask for house spice sauce on the side as it was too hot but was able to eat the medium hot version 2 weeks ago without issue. Umami seems to be at 90+ as I can taste pasta sauce and similar tastes. Salt never left if anything was highlighted early since all else was missing.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

bettysnephew

#12: Post by bettysnephew »

The thing I noticed most was that diet soft drinks became totally unpalatable. I am diabetic so have used them for years but the change in taste was profound, very metallic. I never really noticed too many of other taste changes.
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

happycat

#13: Post by happycat »

Recent NYT article on retraining senses after COVID

"'Super Taster' Who Lost Sense of Smell Is Helping Italians Regain It"

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/20/worl ... smell.html
LMWDP #603

doubleOsoul

#14: Post by doubleOsoul »

I've had customers from my apothecary who were commenting that some of my oils such as the 14 year old Patchouli had no scent. Of course Patchouli of any age has plenty of scent. Took a little while to realize that some folks have temporarily lost their sense of smell due to Covid. I've since included a notice in our shop policy.

jevenator

#15: Post by jevenator »

happycat wrote:Recent NYT article on retraining senses after COVID

"'Super Taster' Who Lost Sense of Smell Is Helping Italians Regain It"

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/20/worl ... smell.html
Could you give a summary? I'm not interested in creating an account to read an article.
bettysnephew wrote:The thing I noticed most was that diet soft drinks became totally unpalatable. I am diabetic so have used them for years but the change in taste was profound, very metallic. I never really noticed too many of other taste changes.
Diet and non-diet soft drinks. In particular Pepsi/Cola/Sprite has this effect on me as well. Metallic is a really good way to describe it now that I think about it.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#16: Post by baldheadracing »

jevenator wrote:Could you give a summary? I'm not interested in creating an account to read an article.
Supertaster and professional gourmand got covid, lost sense of smell/taste, took the usual sensory analysis training and got some of his senses back, and is now helping others in similar situations.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

happycat

#17: Post by happycat »

Here's a link to a nonprofit focused on the issue. Explains how to do the retraining process and make your own kits.

https://abscent.org/learn-us/smell-trai ... mell-train
LMWDP #603
★ Helpful

redbone (original poster)

#18: Post by redbone (original poster) »

Update, happy to report all taste and smell has returned. Welcome espresso and Americanos fully again.

Also had spontaneous coughing issue which would start with a tickle in the throat This has slowly decreased with the occasional related cough now.

Vintage lever machines back on rotation.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549
★ Helpful

pGolay

#19: Post by pGolay »

I also had a relatively mild 'breakthrough' case. It was almost worth it, for how good my first post-covid coffee tasted after the few days without tasting anything at all, pretty much.
-PG