CoffeeToolsCA Etsy Rotating Distribution Tool - Page 11

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Spitz.me

#101: Post by Spitz.me »

I posted a review at Etsy that highlighted a few things that I did to make the v4 work better for me. The v3.55 was super clunky and loose, but it worked better. Better because the needle layout that was proposed, along with the three cogs, didn't promote gathering and mounding at all. I never experience it with v3.55. But, with v4 and using the propose number of needles and layout, I got a ton of mounding and gather between needle clusters. I tried all sorts of things to iron it out like going back and forth and also number of rotations. Ultimately, I removed 2 needles in an effort to space out the needles more and the issues are largely gone. It still seems to mound the bed a bit more than the v3.55, but it works better for me than a manual tool.

I do think that before you remove the WDT tool, it does make sense to tap and settle the grinds, but it still bothered me that it seemed to gather grinds between needle clusters in each cog.
LMWDP #670

Petraidm

#102: Post by Petraidm »

Spitz.me wrote:But, with v4 and using the propose number of needles and layout, I got a ton of mounding and gather between needle clusters.
That is surprising to me. I have been using the v4 for well over 1 month using the recommended and have experienced no mounding; just nice fluffy level pucks.

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#103: Post by mgrayson »

One thing about version 4. The orbits close after one rotation. That is, when the outer wheel comes back to the same position on the basket, its needles are in the same places. So I let the tool rotate a bit with each turn. I don't know if this actually helps, but I feel better about it. :D

In any event, I get no channeling.

lukeap69

#104: Post by lukeap69 »

Thanks for sharing your experience and findings. I have been using this tool and the Umikot version back to back and I could not understand why I am getting better distribution with the Umikot version everytime in terms of the look of the distributed grounds and the flow.

The Umikot also mounts better because of the magnets whilst the Etsy one needs the ears to hit the ears of the portafilters to be fixed.

However, rotating the Etsy tool feels so much satisfying and the build quality seems like night and day compared the Umikot version. I will try to remove two needles as you recommended and see the improvement myself. Thanks.

cmin

#105: Post by cmin »

Spitz.me wrote: But, with v4 and using the propose number of needles and layout, I got a ton of mounding and gather between needle clusters. I tried all sorts of things to iron it out like going back and forth and also number of rotations. Ultimately, I removed 2 needles in an effort to space out the needles more and the issues are largely gone. It still seems to mound the bed a bit more than the v3.55, but it works better for me than a manual tool.

I got the updated V4 tool replacing previous one, it's def nicer and smoother. However I'm getting horrid shots, channeling and spray like a mofo. Went back and forth this morning between manual and the tool and manual was normal flawless shot, the tool is a channeling mess (this even with HG1 Prime).

I'm not sure if it's the needle layout (did the layout the pictures showed)?

The old tool was fine with distribution but didn't feel nearly as refined and smooth obviously. And manual wdt is fine. Maybe I'm turning too much, I'll try like 5 turns tomorrow seller mentioned to me and tapping to settle before pulling tool out. Maybe I'm turning too fast also?

cmin

#106: Post by cmin »

lukeap69 wrote:Thanks for sharing your experience and findings. I have been using this tool and the Umikot version back to back and I could not understand why I am getting better distribution with the Umikot version everytime in terms of the look of the distributed grounds and the flow.

The Umikot also mounts better because of the magnets whilst the Etsy one needs the ears to hit the ears of the portafilters to be fixed.

However, rotating the Etsy tool feels so much satisfying and the build quality seems like night and day compared the Umikot version. I will try to remove two needles as you recommended and see the improvement myself. Thanks.
Which needles did you remove? I actually did the layout in their pictures, and I added all needles, I'm getting terrible extractions with it. The old tool (V2 oe 3 can't remember which one I have) was great, and manual wdt like normal is great and flawless, this one though I cannot figure it out. I've done anywhere from 5 to 20 revolutions, varied speed, all the same, every single shot channels. Adjusted needles to touching the basket to just above the basket, no difference.

Not sure what's up, it's is nice and smooth vs old tool but I'm completely stumped as to why it's distribution is so bad.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#107: Post by baldheadracing replying to cmin »

FWIW, I'm currently doing 20 revolutions in 30 seconds (so 40 RPM). Needles just above the wetted paper filter on the bottom of the basket.

I just noticed that I am not using the needle arrangement picture that is posted on Etsy, but rather the needle placement that is in the install video. No idea if it makes a difference.

Video:

Etsy page:
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

cmin

#108: Post by cmin replying to baldheadracing »

I'll try that layout, I notice also with mine even tapping the bar or PF to settle before pulling out it's not fluffy and even. It's like a valley of ridges and dips like outter is pressed up and ridge on sides of the baskets then it's like a circular valley and a point in the center with some other valleys throughout. Totally weird lol, the old tool and manual wdt is normal even distribution and flat when settled before tamping.

I wish it was the old tool setup with the 3 cogs but with the refinement and bearings of the V4.

Capuchin Monk (original poster)

#109: Post by Capuchin Monk (original poster) »

GregoryJ

#110: Post by GregoryJ replying to Capuchin Monk »

That looks pretty neat, kind of like the AutoComb tool. I don't know the technical definition of spirograph, but I thought it referred to the paths paths crossing and pseudo-random paths of the needles. This one looks like it just spins the needles in circles, right?