Coffee Processing Chats - Page 3

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
aidabatlle (original poster)
Sponsor

#21: Post by aidabatlle (original poster) »

Chert wrote:How did you get into processing by so many different ways?

Have you used brix measurements or other tests to guide fermentation?

I see in google searches some of the listed processes in prior years' greens (like Roastmasters) or roasted (like Stumptown Grand Cru or Bird Rock Coffee Review lauded coffee) natural, Burundi, washed and this years cascara comes up, but most of the list don't come to light.
I was curious. Trying to understand why different countries processed coffee differently than we did. And I asked for their help in trying to recreate those processes in El Salvador to see what affect they would have in the cup. We had to tweak them because of the altitude, water PH level, humidity, etc and it took years to make them work for us.
★ Helpful

Chert

#22: Post by Chert »

The Sumatran profile according to this post is a results of accelerating drying by removing the parchment layer earlier in the drying process.

Interesting reading I found (while looking for extraction parameters for the Paradise robusta competition winner from Ecuador)

Paradise Coffee: What is giling basah?
I sponsor Artisan Roasterscope.

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
Chert

#23: Post by Chert »

aidabatlle wrote:I was curious. Trying to understand why different countries processed coffee differently than we did. And I asked for their help in trying to recreate those processes in El Salvador to see what affect they would have in the cup. We had to tweak them because of the altitude, water PH level, humidity, etc and it took years to make them work for us.
I have been enjoying the washed green coffee to roast and drink. I am interested in the other processes applied to your coffee.

Is there one process among those you have implemented that seems best for your location and those parameters you mentioned?

aidabatlle (original poster)
Sponsor

#24: Post by aidabatlle (original poster) »

It took us years to tweak these processes and make them all work with the elevation, temperature and water pH at the mill. So they all shine in different ways. Depends on someone prefers as far as acidity, body, sweetness and notes.

Rickpatbrown

#25: Post by Rickpatbrown »

I know this is an older thread, but I was searching for some more information on anerobic processing and found this. I just had some anerobic from Ceremony roasters and it's probably the 6th or so ive had in the past 6 months. I also bought a Crown Jewel last year of anerobic that tasted like cinnamon

The results are all over the place! I get fermented tropical fruits to cheese doritos to cinnamon. Its really wild. To be honest, I've never really enjoyed these coffees aside from their novelty. Perhaps there is some amazing process that truly compliments a terroir and roasting style, but it seems like too much work for some really wacky results most of the time.

I hope I'm not being an old curmudgeon (I'm not THAT old) ... these kids with all there fancy processing! /old man voice ... maybe it's just the intimidation factor. As a home roaster, I find it hard enough to sample through 2lb bags of washed/natural selections. Honestly, honey is even a little too much for me. By the time I sample 20 x 2lb samples ... that's almost my whole years consumption, lol.

I almost get the feeling that the coffee has been adulterated by some of these anerobic flavors (seriously, pineapple Doritos ... ewwww!)

Aida's quality is top notch. The beans are well care for and harvested at peak ripeness (I presume). I find that produce that comes from well cared for land and treated with love gives me all that I want.

That's my 0.02$

Chert

#26: Post by Chert »

The facsimile video from sept subscription is worth watching. Aida describes the four processes they shipped to subscribers - washed - Burundi process - natural - and cascara tea.

Now i'm curious to get pulped natural (aka honey)Kenya process and Ethiopian process into the taste of Kilimanjaro lineup.