Coffee helps prevent COVID? - [Today's article]

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#1: Post by baldheadracing »

Article from Daily Coffee News: https://dailycoffeenews.com/2023/11/21/ ... tion-risk/

Original paper: https://cellandbioscience.biomedcentral ... 23-01154-9
Abstract

Background
To date, most countries lifted the restriction requirement and coexisted with SARS-CoV-2. Thus, dietary behavior for preventing SARS-CoV-2 infection becomes an interesting issue on a daily basis. Coffee consumption is connected with reduced COVID-19 risk and correlated to COVID-19 severity. However, the mechanisms of coffee for the reduction of COVID-19 risk are still unclear.

Results
Here, we identified that coffee can inhibit multiple variants of the SARS-CoV-2 infection by restraining the binding of the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein to human angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2), and reducing transmembrane serine protease 2 (TMPRSS2) and cathepsin L (CTSL) activity. Then, we used the method of "Here" (HRMS-exploring-recombination-examining) and found that isochlorogenic acid A, B, and C of coffee ingredients showed their potential to inhibit SARS-CoV-2 infection (inhibitory efficiency 43-54%). In addition, decaffeinated coffee still preserves inhibitory activity against SARS-CoV-2. Finally, in a human trial of 64 subjects, we identified that coffee consumption (approximately 1-2 cups/day) is sufficient to inhibit infection of multiple variants of SARS-CoV-2 entry, suggesting coffee could be a dietary strategy to prevent SARS-CoV2 infection.

Conclusions
This study verified moderate coffee consumption, including decaffeination, can provide a new guideline for the prevention of SARS-CoV-2. Based on the results, we also suggest a coffee-drinking plan for people to prevent infection in the post-COVID-19 era.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

BaristaBob

#2: Post by BaristaBob »

Ha,ha...if only the findings are true.

Looks to me like a group of grad students that laid the hypothesis of coffee as an agent for reduced COVID infection. I don't have time to read the expanse of this paper, but one graph used three groups of people, 10 in the control group, 33 in the coffee-caffeine group, and 21 in the coffee-decaf group. This sample size is laughable for a human trial . And it appears no one, not even in the control group of 10 (non-coffee drinkers) came down with COVID during the study period.

Let's see if the Taiwanese government sets up two lines, one for COVID vaccines, and the other for a cup of coffee.

Nice study though, would have passed them with a "A" for effort!
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

baldheadracing (original poster)
Team HB

#3: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

BaristaBob wrote:Ha,ha...if only the findings are true.
We already know from population-based studies that coffee consumption is correlated with being less likely to get (real) COVID; it is the mechanism explaining that correlation that is being investigated in the paper.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

BKH

#4: Post by BKH »

Seems like a good in-vitro study and a lot of work. I think their conclusion to incorporate coffee consumption in a "Covid protection guide" is premature. I would be very interested to see
the next step of a prospective controlled study of Covid infection rates between coffee drinkers and non-coffee drinkers. Given this and previous data, there may be something there. And then another reason to drink your daily coffee!

chipman

#5: Post by chipman »

I drink coffee, and have never caught covid. That must be proof their study had merit.

mycatsnameisbernie

#6: Post by mycatsnameisbernie replying to chipman »

I drink coffee and I caught Covid. I want my money back.

jpender

#7: Post by jpender »

They said that they found the effect to only be about a 10% reduction in risk. It's just one dietary factor out of several that is presumed to have a similar effect. And diet is just one set of a number of factors that can affect the immune system.

Capuchin Monk

#8: Post by Capuchin Monk »

This fits right into the standard reports on some study. "--- consumption is connected with reduced --- risk and correlated to --- severity. However, the mechanisms of --- for the reduction of --- risk are still unclear." That, right there is the cookie cutter reports that you can fill in the --- for just about anything you consume. I remember reading that about green tea, kale, cranberry juice,... etc. It also works as clickbait.

jpender

#9: Post by jpender »

I don't think that's fair. The correlations found aren't all equal in strength or sign. For example, tea consumption has a lesser apparent protective effect. And eating processed meats is correlated with a greater risk of COVID.

bongani

#10: Post by bongani »

The study might hold water. I drank tons of coffee at the height of COVID and Social Distancing and never any contact with COVID or infected persons.

It's only when I ran out of coffee when the proverbial hit the fan. I shouldn't have gone out searching for beans. I brought beans and the virus back to my hermitage. I still have swollen knuckles from knocking on heaven's door.

The study was flawed.