Coffee Christmas party.... what would you bring?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
jesawdy

#1: Post by jesawdy »

Okay, so next Monday my office is having our Christmas lunch. I thought it might be a lot of fun to offer up free espresso-based drinks for the bulk of the day, on me. Another officemate is going to bring in some good beans and take over the office drip for the day, also gratis to whomever wants it.

This is also an excuse to put the La Cimbali through it's paces for a day of some good use. Perhaps before the day is out, I'll have perfected steaming on it.

So, I'm gonna cart in my La Cimbali M32 1-group and the Junior grinder. I also have Silvia and a Rocky, which may come in just for fun if someone wants to try it out.

We have about 100 folks in the office, and I can't really hazard a guess as to how many will want to try it out, but I am looking for some possible guidance on what to bring. The free drip will probably help cut it down to a reasonable number of folks wanting to try it out. Of course, their all cheap B&^%!d's, so you never know.

My menu will be:
  • Espresso
    Americano
    Cappa
    Latte
    Macchiato
I will likely base everything on doubles to keep it simple.

I'm pondering bringing in a flavoring syrup or two, and probably some Hershey's syrup. Of course, milk, half and half and the like. I'm going to try and do as much in real service as I can, but will encourage folks to bring their own mug, etc., or I may pick up some to go cups.

I want to avoid too much variation, it is free afterall, and don't want to be asked to make a "grande" vanilla mocha soy latte and the like.

So my thoughts are, 5 lbs of espresso, a couple gallons of whole milk (maybe 3-4 to start?, can always send someone out for more), some hershey's syrup, some sugar, MAYBE a syrup or two, a gallon of half-and-half. I'm thinking that I will be surprised at the amount of milk I will burn through.

Sound reasonable? Would you feel obligated to provide any decaf? Something other than whole milk? I do have Rocky, and can likely borrow a second Junior if needed for decaf.

Any recommendation on a syrup flavor that is a crowd pleaser (I don't use them)?

Any other thoughts you might have on the matter are appreciated.
Jeff Sawdy

Compass Coffee

#2: Post by Compass Coffee »

I'd forgo the syrups, add white chocolate for choice of chocolate or white chocolate mochas and add eggnog in addition to milk. (Debi even forces me to make her eggnog caps at home :lol: )

I'd also bring cinnamon (pre-ground in shaker) and nutmeg (whole nuts in grinder).

Sounds like fun!
Mike McGinness

cannonfodder
Team HB

#3: Post by cannonfodder »

Say a double uses 20 grams of coffee (factor in a little waste per shot). One pound of coffee is 453.59 grams, divide that buy 20 grams per double and one pound will get you 22.6 doubles per pound. You have 100 people, a wild guess would be every 3rd person would want a drink so factor 33 shots. That means you need 2 pounds with room to spare. With 5 pounds you could produce 113 doubles. So even if every person wanted one drink, you would still have spare.

Syrups might be nice. I don't own a cafe, but if I had to guess I would say vanilla, caramel, and chocolate would be the most popular. Of those I would say chocolate would get the lions share with vanilla behind and caramel bringing up the rear. Some may even want hot chocolate. My wife and kids like it when I make hot chocolate on the Faema. I add the powder to the cold milk and let the frothing action mix it. they love the microfoam on top.

Most people will unfortunately go with cappa or latte's. I would guess ¼ of the shots will be drunk straight up if that, the rest will be doused in milk. Personally, I find anything under 2% to taste like white water. If you are going to add milk, enjoy and savor the experience, 2% or whole. Lighter flavored coffees will get lost in the heavy fat content of the whole milk so a sturdy blend would work best.

Don't forget sugar, some stir sticks and I would steal a stack of hot cups from the drip machine and use them.

I assume you also have provisions for water (both in and drain) as well as suitable electric to power the La Cimbali and grinder/grinders and a wash basin for your frothing pitcher/pitchers and chill chest for the milk and some towels.

If anyone asks for a "grande" vanilla mocha soy latte. Just tell them you only make good coffee, if you want bad go to the drip machine or down the street. :lol:
Dave Stephens

Cathi

#4: Post by Cathi »

Chocolates (hershey's and white) and vanilla are the flavors most requested at my church's latte stand. I'd also try and have some sugar substitute (like splenda) on hand.

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

cannonfodder wrote:I would guess ¼ of the shots will be drunk straight up if that, the rest will be doused in milk.
Of a group of 100 people, I would be surprised if more than two asked for a straight espresso. The rest will want lattes, even if they call them cappuccinos. Standard size cappuccinos are too small for the typical office Big Gulp crowd. :lol:
Dan Kehn

jesawdy (original poster)

#6: Post by jesawdy (original poster) replying to HB »

Well, I hope to beat 2 straight espressos, but only because we have a few people that have been "initiated" already. But I agree, 2 would probably be about right out of 100 in a typical scenario... maybe even less.

I'll probably have the shakes before it's all over with. :D
Jeff Sawdy

Abe Carmeli
Team HB

#7: Post by Abe Carmeli »

I use such opportunities to educate the philistines. Gently though, I leave the ruler at home. I would banish lattes and all syrups, but leave the sugar. Focus on good coffee, and serve small cappas & Macchiatos. A Macchiato is a great way to ease someone into a straight shot, and for most people it is an exotic drink.
Abe Carmeli

cremacafe

#8: Post by cremacafe »

I would steer clear of the Macchiato word.....they'll all want it with caramel sauce in a 20oz cup.

I would take some Egg Nog syrup, Vanilla syrup, Caramel syrup, and chocolate sauce if you want to please the masses. Whole milk, 1 gal skim so you can mix to make 2% if needed.
LMWDP #011

Worldman

#9: Post by Worldman »

Hey, why worry about flavors, et al. You are providing the espresso and milk gratis. You can have a simple cinnamon and chocolate (powder) shakers for those want them.

I have several times made espresso based drinks for my kids' school's ethnic food fair. Had my own little booth and made a good bit of $ for the school getting beans & 8oz. cups donated by La Prima, milk by Schnieder Dairy. The FF is usually attended by 500 or 600 folk and is a one day event. I had no flavors and no one asked.

BTW, over several years of doing this, I only sold a couple of straight espresso.

Good luck!

Len

timo888

#10: Post by timo888 »

I would do straight espressos with latte chasers. Demand that everone who wants a latte drink a straight shot first. Make them think of it as a real "shot" -- only to be sipped, not gulped with the head thrown back. :twisted: