Coffee Beans Storage

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
leonelbego

Postby leonelbego » Aug 14, 2019, 4:42 pm

Hi all,

I really need your advice on this one. I have a Profitec 300 and a new Ceado E37S grinder. During the week I rarely use the coffee machine because I do drink my coffee at work. Maybe during the week I would use the machine 2-3 times, no more than that. During Saturdays and Sundays I use it quite a bit.

My question is: what should I do to grind fresh beans in my situation? should I leave some beans inside the hopper and don't care and whenever I want to drink a coffee I use it? or Should I try to Single Dose with my E37S every time I want to make a coffee? Should I put only a little bit of beans in the hopper and if after 2-3 days not using the machine I should just throw away those beans and put fresh again when I want to use it?

I am struggling whats best here because I am not a "daily" user!

any help please?

Thank you,
Leo

tracer bullet

Postby tracer bullet » Aug 14, 2019, 8:25 pm

Divvy your new coffee into airtight containers with about a week supply in each. Freeze until ready. Have only 1 out at a time.

Others may have better ideas but that's my approach anyhow and I've been pretty happy. 2 weeks has actually been working OK for me but is about the limit, by 3 I can tell it doesn't pull shots the same any more.

slybarman

Postby slybarman » Aug 14, 2019, 8:31 pm

I also wait until I get to work weekdays before having my coffee. I get too anxious on my hour plus commute if I am caffeinated. I don't know what the "right" answer is, but I can tell you what I do. I only pour 1-2 days worth of beans into the hopper at a time. If I am not going to use my home machine for a more than a day or two, I empty the hopper and return the beans to a vacuum sealed mason jar. This is easy to do with Sette 270 wi. I then turn the machine over to spill out any whole beans left in the burrs back into the mason jar and then I run the machine dry so there is no coffee left in it.

If I am going to use the machine within a day or so, I leave the beans in the hopper but run it for a second or so into a cup before grinding into the portafilter in order to purge any stale grinds that were sitting in the burrs.

leonelbego

Postby leonelbego » Aug 15, 2019, 12:17 am

This seems to be like a great way to do it :)
Thank you very much!
Leo

Sideshow

Postby Sideshow » Aug 15, 2019, 3:13 pm

I pretty much just pull shots on the weekend. So my situation is similar to yours.

In the US, high end coffee is sold mostly in 3/4 pound bags (12 oz.). That size is pretty much perfect to last me through two weekends. So if I get something roasted during the week prior to the weekend, that lasts me the two weekends before the beans grow stale (2 weeks).

I'm not sure what size bags they sell where you are, but getting a smaller bag may help.

leonelbego

Postby leonelbego » replying to Sideshow » Aug 15, 2019, 3:28 pm

Do you then put all the beans in the hopper and leave them there until you use them all? Or you just put a little bit and the rest you leave them inside the original bag?

Thanks a lot,

Sideshow

Postby Sideshow » Aug 16, 2019, 8:51 am

leonelbego wrote:Do you then put all the beans in the hopper and leave them there until you use them all? Or you just put a little bit and the rest you leave them inside the original bag?

I fill the hopper with enough coffee to last me the weekend. Often I replenish though at some point. I leave the remaining unground coffee in the bag. I have those airtight sealed canisters (the steel ones with the air seal lock and additional glass top), and I leave the opened bag in the canister after I push out much of the air and seal the canister.

I get away with this method because 3/4 of a pound pretty much is perfect to last 2 weekends for me.

tracer bullet

Postby tracer bullet » Aug 16, 2019, 9:51 am

I'll add to my suggestion that my coffee which is out, is also in an airtight container, and I only remove what I want to grind (I weigh it) and then close it back up. In case that makes more sense or helps give ideas.

leonelbego

Postby leonelbego » Aug 16, 2019, 9:59 am

Sideshow wrote:I fill the hopper with enough coffee to last me the weekend. Often I replenish though at some point. I leave the remaining unground coffee in the bag. I have those airtight sealed canisters (the steel ones with the air seal lock and additional glass top), and I leave the opened bag in the canister after I push out much of the air and seal the canister.

I get away with this method because 3/4 of a pound pretty much is perfect to last 2 weekends for me.

Perfect. Could you please tell me what canister do you use? What brand and are they good? Sounds like a good solution, never heard of them

leonelbego

Postby leonelbego » Aug 16, 2019, 10:11 am

tracer bullet wrote:I'll add to my suggestion that my coffee which is out, is also in an airtight container, and I only remove what I want to grind (I weigh it) and then close it back up. In case that makes more sense or helps give ideas.

Perfect. Could you please tell me what canister do you use? What brand and are they good? Sounds like a good solution, never heard of them