Clear basket?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
LoboJac

#1: Post by LoboJac »

Hi everyone,

I almost feel silly even asking this but does anyone know where to buy a clear basket/container for your espresso? It's strictly for demonstration purposes so no shot is actually pulled in it. The idea of it is just to help demonstrate the puck prep part of pulling a shot. It allows you to see what happens as you level or tamp the grounds.

Feel like I've googled every combination of words and I'm stumped. It should fit a 58mm tamper/leveler.

Thanks in advance!

Jaclyn
Jaclyn

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Hi Jaclyn, and welcome to HB!

There isn't (to my knowledge) a commercially available source for any clear baskets. The ones used originally in studies for what the puck actually looks like and experiences during extraction were made by our very own FotonDRV, someone I'm proud to call a friend, Stephen Sweeney, here from HB.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

See Stephen Sweeney's TPF - a Transparent PortaFilter and FINALLY! Transparent portafilter espresso extraction videos:
Mohammad wrote:For years I've read about Illy's one and seen a photo of it but never seen a video of it in action. Look at what La Spaziale has done!

Bad prep
Good prep
Dan Kehn

LoboJac (original poster)

#4: Post by LoboJac (original poster) »

I probably shouldn't have used the term "basket" since it's not a filter basket. More like a small shallow cylinder.
Jaclyn

Oskuk

#5: Post by Oskuk »

Check your glasses, choose a glass and cut it lower?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#6: Post by baldheadracing »

Looks like a petri dish to me ...
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

jpender

#7: Post by jpender »

LoboJac wrote:It should fit a 58mm tamper/leveler.

How close a fit?

I have a some short, straight walled, clear nalgene jars that are about 65mm inside diameter and a couple of inches tall. Definitely not 58mm though. You could buy acrylic tubing that has an inside diameter of 2 1/4" (57mm) or 2 1/2" (63mm), some sheet acrylic for a base, and some acrylic adhesive and then fashion one yourself. Again, not exactly 58mm.