Chinese Knockoff of Lyn Weber HG-1?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
LewBK

#1: Post by LewBK » Jan 13, 2020, 12:36 pm

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 » replying to LewBK » Jan 13, 2020, 12:40 pm

Out & out theft of intellectual property!

IMPO
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

LewBK

#3: Post by LewBK » Jan 13, 2020, 12:41 pm

Where are HG-1s manufactured normally?

BaristaBoy E61

#4: Post by BaristaBoy E61 » replying to LewBK » Jan 13, 2020, 1:09 pm

I'm not 100% sure but mass produced at half the price it still looks like theft to me.
Personally, on principal, I would not buy this grinder.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Almico
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Almico » Jan 13, 2020, 1:46 pm

I'm not saying the HG-1 was manufactured in China, but in general, the chickens are coming home to roost for American companies that took the cheap way out and outsourced their manufacturing to China. It's hard to call it theft when you gave them your design in the first place. Just sayin'.
★ Helpful

Haskens

#6: Post by Haskens » replying to Almico » Jan 13, 2020, 2:07 pm

That really makes no sense. That's like saying any manufacturer in the US has basically signed off the rights to their intellectual property to any other manufacturer in the us so long as they can get a hand on your design.

wai2cool4u

#7: Post by wai2cool4u » Jan 13, 2020, 2:15 pm

not even half off with shipping. I think u can get one cheaper if you watch the buy sell forum.

truemagellen

#8: Post by truemagellen » Jan 13, 2020, 2:16 pm

I believe Lyn makes it in Taiwan. I'm not at home to look at the bottom but they are heavily involved in Taiwan and even worked with Acacia (Taiwan) on the electronics for the EG-1.

Almico
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by Almico » Jan 13, 2020, 2:29 pm

Haskens wrote:That really makes no sense. That's like saying any manufacturer in the US has basically signed off the rights to their intellectual property to any other manufacturer in the us so long as they can get a hand on your design.
Well, that's what's happening, isn't it? China doesn't seem to care about our laws or the contracts they entered into.

What doesn't make sense is selling out American jobs for cheap labor and depressing the entire industry.

deed

#10: Post by deed » Jan 13, 2020, 2:46 pm

China and the rest of the world have separate parallels when it comes to IP. That said, I can see why they do it. For one, you are catering to a huge market in China (and oftentimes to India and other parts of Middle East) where they are isolated or unaware of products outside of China due to the great firewall. At the same time, Chinese wage often do not let them have the luxury of spending the original price of US made goods.

For instance, Hey Cafe makes pretty much a Super Jolly replica for the longest time but I don't see any hate for them. In fact, they are quite popular in Cafes in the middle east.