Cheap homemade WDT tool

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
wgmcg

#1: Post by wgmcg »

Hey Guys-

Just wanted to post and get thoughts on my cheapo homemade WDT tool. I was looking the Londinium one but didn't want to spend that much so I began searching around for something cheaper. After looking at everything from egg beaters, to whisks, to afro combs on amazon, I started to realize that the diameter of the tines were all too thick compared to the londinium. That's when I realized I had a roll of the perfect material out in my garage-- stainless aircraft cable that I used for a railing a few years ago.

I snipped off a piece, unwound some of the strands, and this WDT tool was born.

Is it a good idea? I dunno. It's pretty good at distribution, and at breaking up clumps, but I worry that I may be stratifying the grind distribution by size, with the bigger particles falling to the bottom of the basket, and the smaller ones migrating to the top. I have a flat burr grinder, so this should be less of an issue there, but I'd be more concerned with a bimodal conical grind.

I'm curious what you people think? Effective? Stupid? WDT doesn't really work anyway?

Sorry for the video quality. I'm not much of a videographer and shot this one handed while trying to stir the grounds. I realize now that I violated the basic rule of youtube- landscape or it didn't happen! I hope it gets the point across though. This type of cable should be available at any hardware store. I may even try again with a thinner gauge just to see if it does any better.

GregoryJ

#2: Post by GregoryJ »

I just made this one, I'll start taking preorders soon :mrgreen:

Denis

#3: Post by Denis »

http://coffeez.kr/6

This is cheap, 250$

wgmcg (original poster)

#4: Post by wgmcg (original poster) »

@GregoryJ Nice! where did you get those pins?

GregoryJ

#5: Post by GregoryJ »

Haha, they're called inoculating loops. 10 loops plus a holder for $7 on Amazon.

leozava
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by leozava replying to GregoryJ »

Very similar to what came with my helor stance motor

Sheitan

#7: Post by Sheitan »

Here is my woodworking via WDT atempt 8)

Denis

#8: Post by Denis »

This is mine, fast and same every shot, watch after 14th sec.
Inspired by Duomo WDT tool, give it a search.

Chuck Rodent

#9: Post by Chuck Rodent »

michael

#10: Post by michael »

GregoryJ wrote:Haha, they're called inoculating loops. 10 loops plus a holder for $7 on Amazon.
I like it, a cut above my 2 double pronged ss corn holders wired together

Do you have a link for the handle 8)