Cheap homemade WDT tool - Page 3

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
randomorbit

Postby randomorbit » Mar 02, 2019, 2:31 pm

BlackCarrera wrote:Any luck?

It works well enough. I still have some sprites from time to time I think my grinder is the weak link, and I'm not using a dosing funnel.

Best results for me come when I mix with the poker as the grounds fall into the cup, weigh the dose then top off a bit if needed, then I tap the PF on the side with the heel of my hand fairly vigorously to level all the grounds and then tamp. With this technique, I can get a perfect looking shot about half of the time, one or two very tiny sprites towards the end the other half. If I stir after grinding rather than during or don't settle the grounds well, the results will usually be more channeling.

Moka 1 Cup

Postby Moka 1 Cup » Mar 07, 2019, 10:13 pm

BlackCarrera wrote:Mmm nice, a little on the short side, but very nice. Things to think about, haha.

Actually I like that length. I feel I have a good control when stirring.

Today I made one with a 0.02" pin gauge and tried it with my 7g Tidaka kit. I wanted to see how it works and then decide if to make a tool deidicated to the 40mm funnel, with maybe five pins.
It works ok but I think I'll use thicker ones, 0.03" or 0.04".

four minutes to make an espresso? really?

jchung
Supporter ♡

Postby jchung » Mar 12, 2019, 2:02 pm

My version. 3D printed holder + 4 x 0.4mm 3D printer nozzle cleaners.

Moka 1 Cup

Postby Moka 1 Cup » Mar 19, 2019, 10:13 pm

After few more trials and a prototype I have arrived to the conclusion that a single pin is what works best with the 41mm Tidaka funnel for single dose.

(Video with the prototype here: Few questions about the Breville Smart Pro Grinder :roll: )

Here is the final tool. I used the aluminum handle of an old stylus for tablet, removed the rubber tip, added a tip from a plastic ball pen, a 0.038" pin gage and few spare o-rings. The tamping rest is home made as well and it includes a slot for the tool.

four minutes to make an espresso? really?

Exb2019

Postby Exb2019 » Mar 20, 2019, 12:30 am

I use toothpicks. Probably what is called the poor man's wdt

piperman

Postby piperman » Mar 20, 2019, 12:47 pm

I went real cheap on mine, I just used a plastic toothpick/flosser been using the same one for about a year. It's still working. I didn't want to use steel to keep from scratching my baskets. I figure if it breaks, I can just get another one out of the bag. :)

lagoon

Postby lagoon » Mar 20, 2019, 6:07 pm

Cheap and cheerful option:

belegnole

Postby belegnole » Mar 29, 2019, 1:01 pm

I made this sometime in 2010 and it's been doing fine since then. Every so often I see something that inspires me to make a new one, but I don't ever seem to get around to it. Chopstick and sewing needle; hot glued.

cannonfodder
Team HB

Postby cannonfodder » Mar 30, 2019, 11:17 pm

Dave Stephens

Haskens

Postby Haskens » Mar 30, 2019, 11:35 pm

Here are mine. Not exactly $2 as I'm a woodworker and tend to like making things from exotic wood, but they could just as easily be made from something cheaper. First one was just turned out of a piece of rosewood, worked quite well despite being thicker than your typical wdt tool. Second is African Blackwood with three blunted sewing needles jb welded in. Works even better, though the needles are prone to breaking if looked at the wrong way.