Cafelat vs Caffewerks silicone gaskets size differences

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Derryisreal
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Derryisreal »

I have only had my ECM Puristika for 2 months, but already decided to upgrade various parts. So the first thing to go was the rubber grouphead gasket. Thinking that I should get the same size as the original one, I ordered the blue Cafelat 8.5 mm E61 gasket. However, it was too thick! I measured with a high quality digital calipers (Stahlwille) and its thickness is 8.60, lettering raises it to 8.70 mm. I am unable to lock the portafilter in the 6 o'clock position. It only ever gets to seven o'clock. Another forum member mentioned that Caffewerks tend to run a little thicker than their designated size, so I thought - what if I buy the Caffewerks E61 8 mm orange gasket - it should fall somewhere between 8 and 8.5 mm, should fit perfectly. It didn't. The orange 8 mm gasket is actually 8.45 mm thick, lettering raises to 8.75 mm :shock: Again, the portafilter would not go past the seven o'clock position!
Finally, I bought the red Cafelat 8 mm E61 gasket. When the machine is cold the portafilter could be locked at five o'clock, so I thought - this is too loose.
However, once the machine warms up, the portafiler locks in exactly 6 o'clock! Whew!
Three gaskets, till I found the right size! Also, I noticed the Caffewerks is a little softer while the the Cafelat tends to be a bit firmer.
Now I want to upgrade the shower screen, mainly for easier cleaning. I gotta say, I am not a fan of the E61 shower screens removal and replacement process process - having a screw would have been much more convenient, as I drop my shower screen weekly for cleaning. This is all, thanks for reading!
Light roasts are to me what garlic is to vampires.

Advertisement
Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

There's no technical reason to have the handle oriented to 6-o'clock. All you need is a decent seal, sufficiently turned closed so that the portafilter won't fall out. For example, I've intentionally gone to a slightly thicker gasket so that my handle locks in at about 7-o'clock, so that I can better see my digital scale. I could have gone thinner, so that it locks at 5-o'clock. Through this range, and probably a bit more, there's no practical difference in the operation of the machine, due to the slight difference in the distance between the top of the puck and the shower screen.

Derryisreal (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Derryisreal (original poster) »

Nunas wrote:There's no technical reason to have the handle oriented to 6-o'clock. All you need is a decent seal, sufficiently turned closed so that the portafilter won't fall out.
True, but I really like the look of the 6 o'clock position. OCD I guess :D

baldheadracing
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

Derryisreal wrote:Now I want to upgrade the shower screen, mainly for easier cleaning. I gotta say, I am not a fan of the E61 shower screens removal and replacement process process - having a screw would have been much more convenient, as I drop my shower screen weekly for cleaning. This is all, thanks for reading!
On the plus side, it is trivial to very - very - lightly lubricate your portafilter gasket each time you drop the screen.

A bit late, but you can sand the portafilter gaskets to reduce height, or cut/make shim gaskets out of wax paper or parchment paper (or silicone parchment paper) to thicken. I like my portafilters to lock in at six as well :wink:.

As for shower screens, on machines with 3-way valves, I find the IMS 35 traps a lot less coffee stuff above the screen than the much more popular IMS 200 variants. However, the IMS 35 is harder to clean compared to the very easy to clean IMS 200.

FWIW, on machines with 3-way valves, I ultrasonically clean the IMS 35 screens and lubricate the gasket every 50-100 shots.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Derryisreal (original poster) »

baldheadracing wrote:On the plus side, it is trivial to very - very - lightly lubricate your portafilter gasket each time you drop the screen.

FWIW, on machines with 3-way valves, I ultrasonically clean the IMS 35 screens and lubricate the gasket every 50-100 shots.
Yes, lubricating helps for sure, it is something I do diligently, but I still struggle pushing the screen/gasket in and up.

Ultrasonic cleaning - wow, that is taking it to a whole new level! I love the idea.
I just might go with the IMS 200, but not the nanocoated one. I don't want to have to take the shower screen off every time I backflush with Cafiza.

Paul_Pratt

#6: Post by Paul_Pratt »

ECM takes an 8mm as standard their part number is C449900229. It would make no sense to start out with an 8.5mm.

Remember with silicone there is no need to crank it over as hard as you would with rubber which is probably why when you first used the 8mm it locked in past the 6 o'clock position.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#7: Post by baldheadracing »

Derryisreal wrote:Yes, lubricating helps for sure, it is something I do diligently, but I still struggle pushing the screen/gasket in and up.

Ultrasonic cleaning - wow, that is taking it to a whole new level! I love the idea.
I just might go with the IMS 200, but not the nanocoated one. I don't want to have to take the shower screen off every time I backflush with Cafiza.
BTW, it is possible to backflush too much with Cafiza on an E-61 group. The cam on the E-61's lever more-or-less likes coffee oils for lubrication (but doesn't want coffee particles, which can be abrasive). If you backflush after each session/day, then do two or three water-only backflushes. If you do that, then Cafiza is maybe a monthly thing in home use IMO (100-200 shots).

YMMV.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Advertisement
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Derryisreal (original poster) »

Paul_Pratt wrote:ECM takes an 8mm as standard their part number is C449900229. It would make no sense to start out with an 8.5mm.

Remember with silicone there is no need to crank it over as hard as you would with rubber which is probably why when you first used the 8mm it locked in past the 6 o'clock position.
Actually, no, the rubber gasket that came with my Puristika was stamped 8.5 mm. I guess someone else can confirm this? That is what threw me off.
But yeah, the red 8 mm Cafelat fits perfectly.

Jeff
Team HB

#9: Post by Jeff »

Without the machine in front of you, 8 mm seems to be the size of the specified gasket.

Puristika manual, Section 7.3, page 27

"Replacing the group gasket and the shower screen (Group gasket (item no. C449900229) and shower screen (item no. C519900103) must be changed at the same time)"

https://www.cafeparts.com/Wega-Group-He ... C449900229

"ECM Wega Group Head Filter Holder Gasket Portafilter Ø 73x57x8 mm - C449900229"

Supporter ♡

#10: Post by Derryisreal (original poster) »

Ha, I wish I had saved the original gasket, instead of throwing it out. I could have sworn it was stamped 8.5 mm. Didn't occur to me to actually measure it. Now I am beginning to doubt myself...