Budget espresso scale find - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
boren

#11: Post by boren »

@crwper - the Kubei scale I linked in comment #5 is very similar and solves both issues. It has 0.01 gram accuracy, so responsive to even a single bean added or removed. And it supports AAA batteries as well as using micro-USB to recharge its own battery. It also has a sticker that makes the top buttons water resistant.

Pressino

#12: Post by Pressino »

I like a bit more precision when weighing beans for espresso, and for about the past 1 1/2 years have been using a Talor model 1250 scale that reads to 0.01g. I got it for less than $20. No timer, but my machine has one and, in any case, counting down would be accurate enough for me. Not sure how accurate the scale is, but the readout is quite repeatable, which is more important as far as I'm concerned.

0.1g precision no doubt is good enough for pour over, but I prefer a tad more resolution when dosing espresso. That's just me and YMMV.

Several scales with readouts to 0.01g are available on Amazon. Most are very inexpensive. Here's one:

https://www.amazon.com/Weigh-Gram-Digit ... 06Y61YW7S/

crwper

#13: Post by crwper »

boren wrote:@crwper - the Kubei scale I linked in comment #5 is very similar and solves both issues. It has 0.01 gram accuracy, so responsive to even a single bean added or removed. And it supports AAA batteries as well as using micro-USB to recharge its own battery. It also has a sticker that makes the top buttons water resistant.
Mine reads out to 0.01 g as well--just that some values occur less frequently than they should, as shown here:

It's like the scale is pulling values very close to a whole number of grams toward that number, in order to make calibration seem more accurate than it is. It's a shame, because the accuracy of the scale is actually quite good without this.

Mine is the NEXT-SHINE version, shown here: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B017LUWCAW/
★ Helpful

primoz

#14: Post by primoz »

While I don't have problems paying premium for things that are worth, $250+ scale is unfortunately not one of things that can justify such lunatic price for me. So I gave a try to cheap Aliexpress one, and honestly I'm rather impressed.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004200571951.html
It has option for auto timer, auto reset to zero, measures down to 0.1g, has usb charging, and based on current experience it's pretty consistent. Only minus is a bit weird process of reseting to zero when needed, but you get used to it. Especially when considering it's less then $20.

mrgnomer

#15: Post by mrgnomer »

I'm just getting into scale dosing. Really like the improved consistency. Using a .1g+- Rhino scale. No timer, weighs only, battery only, non adjustable auto shut off, wouldn't trust it to get wet. Use my phone for timing. Got the Rhino because I wasn't into spending hundreds of dollars for more features and options.
Rethinking that now. The Acaia Lunar I handled as a display model at an espresso equipment vendor is a tank. Warranty includes water damage. If it goes for a good sale price I think I'd save my money by trying less expensive scales and bite the bullet. Can't see anything better than an Acaia right now and I'm pretty sure I'll eventually end up with one anyway.
Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love

mixespresso

#16: Post by mixespresso »

I see there is a new version of the SearchPean scale on Amazon (and on aliexpress too)

Apart from the display, I am not sure if there are other enhancements from the previous version

Has anyone bought it? It looks very slick.

jpender

#17: Post by jpender »

crwper wrote:Mine reads out to 0.01 g as well--just that some values occur less frequently than they should, as shown here:

It's like the scale is pulling values very close to a whole number of grams toward that number, in order to make calibration seem more accurate than it is. It's a shame, because the accuracy of the scale is actually quite good without this.

I was traveling and missed this post back in August. It's interesting to see the deceitful algorithm of this little scale illustrated so well. I bought a different scale from Amazon a couple of years ago (that had been promoted by Jonathan Gagné) that had this same behavior. It wasn't especially precise either. I returned it for a refund. I even wrote a review describing the way the scale lies to you. The review vanished after a short while.

It's worth checking your scale, not just to see how precise it is, but also to see how honest it is. I wonder how many inexpensive scales have this type of unscrupulous code in their firmware?

BuckleyT

#18: Post by BuckleyT »

Responding to the title: "budget espresso scale" it is surprising that the the Digitz DZ-1 by American Weigh Scales is not mentioned.
They are not waterproof but at $9.99 (unchanged over the recent past) they last between 1 and 2 years and I always have 2 on hand in case one craps out.
They fit under any shotglass/grouphead clearance. They have a minimal lag and very good consistency.
The company AWS makes other low profile scales if you are in the market.
They are available on a surprising number of websites - here is an example:

https://sknoveltywholesale.com/product/ ... y-scale-2/

I always avoid using Amazon if I can because I do not want to support that company. That is just me but I hope you will consider that, as well.

jpender

#19: Post by jpender replying to BuckleyT »

Just 1-2 years? What happens then? The website you linked says they have a 10 year warranty.

For the record, I own three AWS scales. I use one for weighing beans. And I have a nearly identical one attached to the base of my Robot for weighing the shots. The first one I bought in 2012 and it has been carried in my luggage on countless trips, been taken camping, been spilled on, dropped on the floor a number of times and it still works great. Very precise (±0.02g). No timer though. It would be nice to have a built-in timer.

pGolay

#20: Post by pGolay »

I do like the SearchPean description on Amazon -

The kitchen Espresso Coffee Scale is equipped with invisible LED screen and hidden touch control ,Slim body thickness, compact and easy to store;design minimalist ;Turn off like a mysterious Pandora little Rubik's cube
-PG