Brewing on the water (and roasting) - Page 9

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
EbenBruyns (original poster)

#81: Post by EbenBruyns (original poster) »

It happened, I pulled my first truly awful shot this morning. It was the second shot for the day and it was just bad from the start. I'm not entirely sure what caused it but the only thing that comes to mind is that I've been putting a drop of water in the beans before grinding. It seems to help with the clumping. Except it was maybe a bit more than a drop that made it into the beans on this shot. The beans were sitting for a while before I ground them up so I suspect that they absorbed too much water and that lead to shot flowing quickly and it just being terrible all round...

This was the admiral's coffee so I added some milk and thought I might get away with it. No such luck, it was truly horrible, she asked me wtf was up with the shot!? I instructed her to dump it overboard and give the fish some caffeine and started over. This time around it was much better.

I also roasted up another batch so we'll see how that one goes. I feel like the beans on the current batch has taken a turn towards the stale side, they have been sitting for a day or so longer than is usual.

ECM Manufacture: @ecmespresso #weliveespresso
Sponsored by ECM Manufacture

#82: Post by EbenBruyns (original poster) »

Just an update on the Mlik powder experiment.

We tried a lower quality milk powder and boy was it bad. A high quality milk powder seems to be essential for making decent steamed milk!

The last round of roasted beans was spectacular today! So the greens are still holding up well. I received my new batch and will set some aside for long term testing.

It does seem like this thread has run it's course so unless someone asks me a question or prods for information I might stop updating this thread all together to keep the noise levels down.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#83: Post by yakster »

Thanks, Eben, for posting. What's the high quality milk powder that you like?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

#84: Post by EbenBruyns (original poster) »

I'm not sure if it's the best, but of the ones we tried this one is certainly better than the rest and seems to produce something rather pleasant in the cup.

The admirals comments were something along the lines of reasonably enjoyable vs (redacted)...

luvmy40

#85: Post by luvmy40 »

I've never tried steaming it, but Augason Farms "Morning Moos" is the best tasting powdered milk I've ever had.

https://www.augasonfarms.com/morning-mo ... earch=milk

#86: Post by EbenBruyns (original poster) »

Just a small update. We left the boat for a couple of nights. There was enough beans for 1 shot left behind. It was 5 days post roast and I could tell it was in decline, but still drinkable, when we got back.

I'd say 5 days is probably the limit to how long I'd want to keep roasted beans.

Jonk

#87: Post by Jonk »

How many days before decline will also depend on how the beans are roasted. If you start roasting really light you might find that it's not enjoyable at all unless you wait long enough. Good thing is, light roasts generally stale slower.

Not that this is much of a concern if you can't roast more than you have time to consume.

One thing you might want to try, seeing as you can't get a fast drying time - is to go in the other direction altogether: double roasting. Get the beans to 150C, dump and cool, then roast like normal. At least the second roast will be faster and I've had a few surprisingly nice batches this way.

Urnex: 100% dedicated focus on coffee and tea cleaning
Sponsored by Urnex

#88: Post by EbenBruyns (original poster) »

That's an interesting idea. But drying takes around 6-6.5 mins last round with pre-heating. pre-heating takes 2-3 mins.

16-17 mins roasting time total. Not sure how much I'd save double roasting, given that I'd have to use gas to get it up to temperature twice then...

Jonk

#89: Post by Jonk »

Didn't consider that you might want to conserve gas. Total roast time and gas consumption will be more with double roasting for sure. Only worth trying from a flavor perspective.

#90: Post by EbenBruyns (original poster) »

All good, if you're not living on a boat yourself you don't understand that you're always in conserving everything mode... I freak out when taps are left running when on land...