Bravo Tamper and Distributor

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
tegwj

#1: Post by tegwj »

Hello H-B gang --

About a year ago I got in touch with Gilberto Santos to inquire about his Bravo tamper. As others have reported, he was prompt and attentive and we went back and forth over email discussing options. It was clear that he was in the midst of doing a re-design but it wasn't readily apparent how extensive it was to be. At any rate it meant he didn't have any tampers available because the new version wasn't ready as of July 2017.

As part of the dialog he pointed me to this album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/148785676 ... 789327268/

Which showed the various wood and anodized aluminum options for the tamper, as well as some of his other projects. His comment about the changes was "In design, almost nothing has been changed" -- but I never got a more detailed description.

At any rate eventually March 2018 rolled around and he let me know that at long last he had finished parts ready to go. The tampers are available in various sizes, including 58.3, 58.4, and 58.5mm. I told him I was using VST baskets so he recommended 58.4 for the distribution tool and 58.5 for the tamper itself.

Once ordered they were shipped together to the USA at a reasonable savings:

> Price tamper : R$ 350,00 ( real brasileiro) Price distribuidor : R$250,00 ( Real brasileiro)
> Shipping for 1 product: R$ 140,00 ( Real Brasileiro) Shipping for 2 products: R$ 177,00 ( Real Brasileiro)

They arrived fairly quickly.

What was immediately obvious was these were properly finished tools. All the manufacturing feel and finish were top of the line, everything felt fantastic. This was my first distribution puck so I don't have a usage comparison with others but it certainly works well. The tamper is superb and beautiful on the bench, fits the VST baskets as expected without incident, and has undoubtedly improved my puck preparation consistency.

Bottom line, while the wait took a while, it was worth it, and Gilberto's products are excellent and reasonably priced for the quality of the tools.

He may be reached by email at bodnariuc@msn.com.