Brain fog from coffee?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
napierzaza

#1: Post by napierzaza »

I tend to switch between different speciality coffee roasters pretty regularly. I even have the La Marzocco espresso subscription. I find that the quality can vary, but most problematic is that sometimes I can get a brain fog from the coffee. This is ultimately me feeling more tired or it being harder to concentrate.

What I have done in the past is tried to lower the amount of extraction. Going from ~34g to 28-30g. This was because I was thinking possibly it was some of the bitter components that come out at the end of the extraction coming out too fast, and causing issues for me. This has somewhat worked in the past.

Recently though I got a bag that me and my SO had trouble with. Lowering the extraction didn't work at all and I was REALLY feeling terrible when I was drinking the coffee. So yeah I ended up not drinking anymore of that stuff. However I really wonder what is going on. I noticed that it was an Ethiopian natural process and I got to wonder if maybe there is some possibility of mould or some other histamine that was introduced into the coffee? I'm not sure how much is known about this subject though, as I couldn't find anything. It's very subjective but I might keep my eyes open when I find my next bag and see it's also natural process.

Stavey
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Stavey »

Honest question,
Have you recently gotten the jab ? I've read reports of brain fog after the jab ???

Jeff
Team HB

#3: Post by Jeff »

Keeping track of origin, processing, and roast level seems like a good idea. I'd also note times of day and what, if anything, you've had before, with, or shortly thereafter. It might not be the coffee but the milk, biscuit, eggs, ... , that you often have along with it (or a combination).

Chasing allergies or sensitivities is seldom fast, but very rewarding once there's insight.

happycat

#4: Post by happycat »

Have you tried eating first, then sipping coffee later?

Working backwards from the coffee consumption is a limiting troubleshooting strategy. It's like blaming a bridge collapse on the last person to walk over it.

Instead, model yourself as a system, which includes sleep, exercise, medications, diet.

Even within coffee, work from the most likely scenarios first: water quality, caffeine and the impacts on blood sugar.
LMWDP #603

napierzaza (original poster)

#5: Post by napierzaza (original poster) »

Stavey wrote:Honest question,
Have you recently gotten the jab ? I've read reports of brain fog after the jab ???
No not at all. It was months ago. I have had this problem for years now anyhow. As an aside I was only just extra tired the first shot and then didn't really feel anything the second time.

#6: Post by napierzaza (original poster) »

happycat wrote:Have you tried eating first, then sipping coffee later?

Working backwards from the coffee consumption is a limiting troubleshooting strategy. It's like blaming a bridge collapse on the last person to walk over it.

Instead, model yourself as a system, which includes sleep, exercise, medications, diet.

Even within coffee, work from the most likely scenarios first: water quality, caffeine and the impacts on blood sugar.
The idea is that all things are the same, but I will sometimes get this issue consistently for a specific bag of coffee.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Brewzologist »

Have you noticed whether robusta beans could be a contributing factor?

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Nunas »

We used to be able to drink coffee any time, including first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. At my peak, I drank about ten cups a day at work. Now, not only do we limit our intake to one or two a day, we never drink them on an empty stomach, as we experience some of the same things you're describing. Getting older is probably the main factor in our case :wink:

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by Pressino »

The brain fog with different beans/roasts may reflect different levels of caffeine in the extracted coffee. After getting used to a specific daily dose of caffeine, if you lower your dose you could get brain fog as well as other symptoms (mainly headache). :(

#10: Post by napierzaza (original poster) »

Brewzologist wrote:Have you noticed whether robusta beans could be a contributing factor?
Generally I don't drink robusta. But I haven't been investigating it long. And since the last bag it was an ethiopia natural which I assume is arabica. Will keep watching for when it happens in the future