Bragging Rights Thread: Great Coffee Gear Scores! - Page 38

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
LObin

#371: Post by LObin »

Here's a good one:
A brand new retro green Cafelat Robot.
In a Pawnshop.
3500 KM away.
For $295!!

Wait... Canadian dollar! (That's $223 USD)

Wait... 30% storewide sell today!!

For a grand total of... $218 CAD with taxes!!!
(That's $165 USD)

Now... I just need to find a great deal on plane tickets to Calgary...

*Just kidding, my wife's colleague is going to hold on to it for us untill her trip in Calgary, at the end of February.
LMWDP #592

EthanL

#372: Post by EthanL »

I was asking the guy in the pawn store to ship it for me, and he told me it's on hold for someone in Montreal :roll:

Nice people to deal with, even said will inform me if another one show up afterwards, I appreciate and doubt the chance :|

LObin

#373: Post by LObin »

EthanL wrote:I was asking the guy in the pawn store to ship it for me, and he told me it's on hold for someone in Montreal :roll:

Nice people to deal with, even said will inform me if another one show up, I appreciate and doubt the chance :|
Yep. That would be me! Sorry...

They were beyond nice! Mom and Pop business.
The manager didn't have to say anything about the 30% off going on today. I had no clue...

I believe it popped up on Kijiji over 5 days ago so I guess people in Calgary do sleep through winter after all... :lol:
LMWDP #592

EthanL

#374: Post by EthanL replying to LObin »

Haha, I'm the witness of your score :D despite being 3700km away.

I was surprised when being told the item is on hold, must be some serious coffee head. The ad popped out on my kijiji front page 7 days after they put it online, you were well ahead of me :)

LObin

#375: Post by LObin replying to EthanL »

Your assumptions were right. Serious coffee head. Guilty. :wink:

These guys are so cool they offered to put in on hold for me till I figure out how to get it to travel from Calgary to Montreal. I didn't even ask for it!

We obviously do our espresso gear "scavenger hunt" on the same sites because I almost landed that Gaggia Minor about a year ago...

Keep up the good work! She's making your life tough but it's worth it... she's such a beauty!
You're that close to your first ever gaggia lever shot...
LMWDP #592

EthanL

#376: Post by EthanL replying to LObin »

That Gaggia Minor is giving me some headache thanks for bringing it up! And hey what a small world LObin!

The slow acquisition of parts and tools for minor has left me a lot of time to work on other small projects, and hunting for new ones(guilty), but I'd better to slow it down and do it right :wink:

Thanks for your encouragement and I'm sure you will enjoy the Cafelat robot!

LObin

#377: Post by LObin »

LObin wrote:Here's a good one:
A brand new retro green Cafelat Robot.
In a Pawnshop.
3500 KM away.
For $295!!

Wait... Canadian dollar! (That's $223 USD)

Wait... 30% storewide sell today!!

For a grand total of... $218 CAD with taxes!!!
(That's $165 USD)

Now... I just need to find a great deal on plane tickets to Calgary...

*Just kidding, my wife's colleague is going to hold on to it for us untill her trip in Calgary, at the end of February.
So... it's one thing to find a brand new Robot for $165 USD... but when you unpack what you think is a regular version only to find out it has a pressure gauge...
Once again I lucked out and got the barista version!

It's solid, gorgeous and pulls a killer shot!

Cheers!
LMWDP #592

SimonPatrice

#378: Post by SimonPatrice »

I'm feeling quite envious of your score right now. At least, it went to a fellow Montrealer. :D
Patrice
LMWDP #428

IamOiman
Team HB

#379: Post by IamOiman »

$100 + shipping for a Faemina with all the brown bakelite bits is a score I would think. Only thing between me and a functioning machine is the cut rod between the base and body...

-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

RobAnybody

#380: Post by RobAnybody »

Didn't know this thread existed! But then again there is a thread on virtually anything here :D
A few weeks ago on "marktplaats" (Dutch ebay) I stumbled upon an Isomac Itala for free within driving range, so I called immediately (apparently it had been on there for less than 2 minutes) and jumped in the car to pick her up.
According the seller it had 'pressure issues', she had inherited the machine and didn't use it enough to warrant a repair.
Turned out it hadn't been back flushed and cleaned for quite some time. So with a bit of scrubbing, tinkering and polishing (for details see here: Isomac Itala repair/overhaul, some advice needed)
she is back in business

The only thing missing (besides a backflushing filter) was a 58mm tamper which should arrive today so I can give her a proper test-run.
Cheers,
Rob
LMWDP #647